How to create Plan Views from 3D Model?

Koko_NYC

I have not dealt with 3D Models in a while and I am bit embarrassed to have to ask for help with this. 

A valve manufacturer has provided me a 3D model of their valve. I can select the view modes under model space (TOP, RIGHT & FRONT) and I can choose HIDDEN mode view. This gives me the desired outcome that I need in 2D. But I am struggling to convert these views into 2D model to bring and use them on my drawing.

I tried using FLATTEN but the conversion does not render the object in the way that I need. I tried FLATTEN with the hidden lines options on & off. I would expect this to be the answer but apparently I must be missing something else. 

Original 3D Model:

3D.thumb.JPG.34d39e0e43218ef52a8f10d774ee8156.JPG

Front 3D Hidden View  (this is how I want the 2D flatten model to look like):

Hidden.thumb.JPG.b9a4bd84406351dd4dc9ddf3d1226e36.JPG

2D Model after FLATTEN  (flatten with and without removing hidden lines option):

Flatten.JPG.3e9fe8b576c840d9cc0b9b7e74606079.JPG

Thanks in advance,

BB

1-950XL.00FS.dwg

Flatshot is one option.  The 2D views are generated in model space.  Another option would be the BaseView (also referred to as ViewBase) command.  2D views are generated in paperspace.  My suggestion would be to test each method and decide for yourself which works best for your situation given how you work and what your company expects as a final product.

6 minutes ago, ReMark said:

Flatshot is one option.  The 2D views are generated in model space.  Another option would be the BaseView (also referred to as ViewBase) command.  2D views are generated in paperspace.  My suggestion would be to test each method and decide for yourself which works best for your situation given how you work and what your company expects as a final product.

Very interesting commands Mark, thanks for sharing them. I have never tried them before. Ok, here are the results:

- Flatshot does convert the 3D model into 2D model, but it produces similar results as FLATTEN. Very close to the view I need, but with wireframe and showing hidden lines. 

- ViewBase is a very interesting command, but it seems to create views in paperspace and not really convert the model into 2D. Not what I am looking for. 

I am basically looking for a 3D to 2D conversion without the wireframe and removing hidden lines, so I am left only with the minimal plan view of the model. 

BB

As previously mentioned the ViewBase command utilizes paperspace.  What is created is called a "drawing view".

Other ways of creating 2D views of 3D models include the SectionPlane, SolProf, and the combination command SolView/SolDraw.  Again, I suggest you read up on these commands, test them even, then decide if any of them meet your needs.

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

My results using the FLATSHOT command look like this.

Flatshot demo.JPG

Mark, 

The views you have posted are exactly what I need. I am running ACAD 2017 Full. What would cause my results to differ from yours, when the command is pretty straight forward and not a lot of settings?

Why am I not getting the results you are getting? Any idea?

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

My results using the FLATSHOT command look like this.

Mark,

Would it be possible for you to share the file you converted to 2D using FLATSHOT so I can see how it opens at me end? 

TIA!

I'm not sure why our two results do not match other than to ask if the drawing you are working on has additional geometry than the one you posted.  See below for copy of my drawing (saved in 2010 file format).

1-950XL.ReMark.dwg

Edited by ReMark

32 minutes ago, ReMark said:

I'm not sure why our two results do not match other than to ask if the drawing you are working on has additional geometry than the one you posted.  See below for copy of my drawing (saved in 2010 file format).

1-950XL.ReMark.dwg

Mark, thank you. It works well. 

This is not something that I go thru regularly, so I won't try to figure this out but simply use your drawing instead. 

Thank you very much. 

2 minutes ago, BIGAL said:

Using layouts and simple views is this useful.

BIGAL, 

I am sure this is useful for someone asking about how to create different views for a 3D model. 

My request was for a 2D conversion to be used on 2D drawings. 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:40 AM, Koko_NYC said:

Very interesting commands Mark, thanks for sharing them. I have never tried them before. Ok, here are the results:

- Flatshot does convert the 3D model into 2D model, but it produces similar results as FLATTEN. Very close to the view I need, but with wireframe and showing hidden lines. 

- ViewBase is a very interesting command, but it seems to create views in paperspace and not really convert the model into 2D. Not what I am looking for. 

I am basically looking for a 3D to 2D conversion without the wireframe and removing hidden lines, so I am left only with the minimal plan view of the model. 

BB

Just notice that when you use the Flatshot command you can always select to add or remove the hidden lines (obscured lines). In your case you will only have to make sure to uncheck the box (show) to have it looking like you would like to . I hope it will help you for your futur use of this command. 

image.png.739516782e91407bfb53ee8c392c0b2d.png 

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, Koko_NYC said:

I am sure this is useful for someone asking about how to create different views for a 3D model. 

My request was for a 2D conversion to be used on 2D drawings. 

I think I was in similar with your interest couple of year ago, basically I have a model the need to generate 2D view in AutoCAD and here what I learn to do:

-Setup DDVPOINT (with axonometric scale ratio, see axonometric calculator)

-Use FLATSHOT (create block, then clean up)

and here are my autolisp scripts

avp.lsp (setup DDVPOINT, with scale ratio)

fsa.lsp (aka flatshot axonometric view [fsa12, fsa23, fsa34] with corresponding scale via avp.lsp)

The lisp code I wrote by no mean expert or guru, they just work and make my life easier

if you can improve from there, you are welcome!

Phong

avp.lsp fsa.lsp