Question on Free Autocad

john demoss

Hello all,

I am retired and trying to re-learn AutoCad on my own.  I worked in the 90s, using AutoCad for about 8 years.  Most of the time, I was making revisions to Electrical Drawings at a large plant site.  And I used to teach Sheet Metal Layout (board drafting). 

Here is my question:  Would I be eligible to download the Free Version of AutoCad, maybe as a student or hobbyist ?  I am getting a new computer and am interested in using the Free Version, if possible.   Thank you for your help.

John D.

If you're a student, you are eligible to access Autodesk software for free. I'm not aware of any free version for hobbyists?

If you're looking for a good free CAD program, check out Draftsight: https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/

They offer a free version, or a Pro version for a very reasonable price, and the interface and commands are basically identical to Autocad.

For (re)learning AutoCAD, I too would endorse Draftsight. The only benefit to AutoCAD is file interoperability, which assumes that your client/employer uses it. Draftsight can use the "official" DWG format, the only drawback is that "official" copies of AutoCAD will treat your drawings as "unofficial."

I believe the message one receives when opening a drawing (.dwg) that wasn't created in AutoCAD can be repressed.  Then the next time such a drawing is opened the CAD tech will not see it.

• 3 months later...

I looked into Draftsight, but it appears they are going to subscription with the latest version. It also appears that all previous versions will go dead in 6 months.

T

Bricscad have a free program "shape" and it is suprising how much it actually can do. The commands are aimed at compatibility with Autocad and the onsite training videos are excellent, I'm using it more and more.

12 hours ago, Tegra said:

I looked into Draftsight, but it appears they are going to subscription with the latest version. It also appears that all previous versions will go dead in 6 months.

True, but the subscription cost for the Standard version is only $99 per year, so basically $8.25 per month. It's not free, but it's a pretty minimal cost.