What is easiest way to drawing this pipe run 3D

Sengna

I am using AutoCAD 2018 with 3D,  how would you guys draw this pipe run in 3d? I have very less experience with 3D, can i started as shown on the right by draw pipe run and circle then extrude or sweep?  any suggestion. thank you

3D piping PT.jpg

3d piping.jpg

One option would be to place all fittings (elbows, tees, reducers, etc.) and valves, if there are any, then connect everything up with your straight pipe runs.  Another option would be to buy an add-on program such as CADworx Plant Design Suite. 

Edited by ReMark

Yes, the usual AutoCAD 3D. Without additions.

Why didn't you see the sample file?
We use 3D objects and blocks.
We use the program to store blocks, it allows you to visually display and insert a block from a folder. (on the picture)

3 hours ago, ReMark said:

One option would be to place all fittings (elbows, tees, reducers, etc.) and valves, if there are any, then connect everything up with your straight pipe runs.  Another option would be to buy an add-on program such as CADworx Plant Design Suite. 

as far as the method to draw, do i need to draw a line and circle perpendicular to it and extrude to show 3D? i am just don't know how to start, i started from scratch, do i need to have all the fitting drawing individually in 3d and bring in?

3 hours ago, maratovich said:

Yes, the usual AutoCAD 3D. Without additions.

Why didn't you see the sample file?
We use 3D objects and blocks.
We use the program to store blocks, it allows you to visually display and insert a block from a folder. (on the picture)

ok  i will check the way you did  

Edited by Sengna

I created my own library of fittings and valves over a period of time.  So I had 3D models of that fit 1/2", 1", 1 1/2", 2", 3", 4" and 6".  I also created one inch tall hollow pipe sections (Sch. 40 and Sch. 80) in 3D for all of the same sizes.

I did not open your drawing as my response, like this one, was generated from my laptop that does not have AutoCAD loaded on it.

A former CADTutor member ASMI wrote a couple of lisp routines expressly for creating 3D pipe runs.  Not sure if they are still available on this site.            

Hi to all, I don't know if this thread was finished, but just one suggest, It's possible to draw a 3D Polyline (3DPOLY) and extrude it after (option path), I normally use this way, similar to the Bigal's post.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, BIGAL said:

Thought as I dont do pipes normally using 1st principles of solids but very slow, the way to go is like Maratovich and Remark.

image.png.3c8adfa08074f9550546caa919802cbe.png

Good, idea, i will give this a try, than you for your suggestion, i am still learning

On 3/11/2019 at 4:07 AM, SLW210 said:

I draw individual center lines (each pipe and elbow) then sweep a circle (or region) of the pipes.

OK thank you SLW210.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:58 AM, CafeJr said:

Hi to all, I don't know if this thread was finished, but just one suggest, It's possible to draw a 3D Polyline (3DPOLY) and extrude it after (option path), I normally use this way, similar to the Bigal's post.

I am still working on this.   I will give this a try when i get a chance. thanks.

If you want to keep this in plain AutoCAD, do a little prepwork first. Create each pipe OD and ID and extrude it 1" to make a pup piece. Then, use a catalog like Weldbend to create your 90s and 45s, etc. Make blocks of each one, throw them on a Tool Palette. 

Utilize Dynamic UCS where you can. Place these items, and use the Grips to stretch the pipe solids, and connect the elbows as necessary. If you're going to this length though I would consider a piping package such as AutoCAD MEP. 

Made a quick and dirty video, hope this helps: 

https://www.screencast.com/t/YRBlq6BYz0W

-TZ

• Like 1

I watched a Mep demo and thats what it did just keep adding pipes and bend changing direction etc so fast just hang a bend, "T" on end. The way to go.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:13 PM, tzframpton said:

If you want to keep this in plain AutoCAD, do a little prepwork first. Create each pipe OD and ID and extrude it 1" to make a pup piece. Then, use a catalog like Weldbend to create your 90s and 45s, etc. Make blocks of each one, throw them on a Tool Palette. 

Utilize Dynamic UCS where you can. Place these items, and use the Grips to stretch the pipe solids, and connect the elbows as necessary. If you're going to this length though I would consider a piping package such as AutoCAD MEP. 

Made a quick and dirty video, hope this helps: 

https://www.screencast.com/t/YRBlq6BYz0W

-TZ

That is great suggestion, thank you so much tzframton

I would go on to say forget the ID/OD. Too much effort and a performance hit to have hollowed pipe and fittings. Just make it all solids that match the OD and you should be good. 

-TZ