3D DWG convert to SOLIDWORKS

Cosmos33

Greetings to all members!

I am facing a problem with a 3D .DWG 

I am unfamiliar with Autocad and the project that came to me is a ship in 3D dwg format. I currently use SOLIDWORKS and that is the problem. When i am trying to import it directly as 3D to SOLIDWORKS, it looks to load perfectly but the final model is semi complete.

The paradox now is that, when i am importing it on keyshot, it loads the model 100% complete!!!

What is the matter it can't be perfectly loaded in SOLIDWORKS??

Thank you very much.

Can you provide the Autocad file for us to look at? Or post screenshots of what you see in Solidworks and what you see in Keyshot.

Also, do you receive any errors in Solidworks when you import the dwg?

The photo of the file of autocad is attached first. Secondly is what i see in solidworks after loading it in 3D curves. and last is the keyshot loading.
I can't upload the DWG cause it is 15 mb. 

autocad.png

Χωρίς τίτλο.png

Keyshot.png

solidworks.png

You didn't answer my other question. Do you receive any error messages when importing the .dwg file?

I have never used Solidworks, so I spent about 30 minutes on Youtube looking for a video that would explain the proper procedure for importing Autocad 3D models into Solidworks but every video was importing .dwg files as a 2D sketch. The only one that showed how to import as a 3D model was in Chinese, but I could still follow along, watching the video, and I noticed in the import window there was an option to import all layers or selected layers. I assume you are importing "All layers"?

Since Keyshot can import the .dwg with no issues, I can only guess that Solidworks is not understanding the model, but if that's the case, you should get an error message or something telling you that parts of the model have been ignored, or something.

Maybe try exporting the model out of Autocad as .sat format and then import that file into Solidworks. If that doesn't work, put your .dwg file on Dropbox and then post a link here so we can take a look at it.

Fisrtly, i do select All layers option
secondly I receive no error message.

Third  trying to export the DWG as SAT but i receive a fatal autocad error during the "select object" phase.

fatal error.png

Edited by Cosmos33

The only assumption I can make is that there must be problems with the CAD model. You will probably need to rebuild portions of it to correct whatever issues are present. It could be self intersecting meshes or perhaps the model is not watertight or maybe something else is causing the problem. Who sent you the model? Since you are not familiar with Autocad, you may need to send it back and ask the creator to find and fix the problems.

If you are right. 

Explain to me why keyshot loads the model without problem??

Can i fix the problem on my own with autocad. Yes i am unfamiliar but i believe with your guidence i can fix it.

1 hour ago, Cosmos33 said:

If you are right. 

Explain to me why keyshot loads the model without problem??

Can i fix the problem on my own with autocad. Yes i am unfamiliar but i believe with your guidence i can fix it.

Keyshot is just a rendering program. It will open and display whatever model you present to it, regardless of whether there are problems or not. Just like a camera. You can take photos of a broken object, but if you try to use that broken object, it's not going to work.

Solidworks is a very technical program and it needs you to feed it models that are put together correctly, and when I look at the error message you got when you tried to export to .sat format I can see there are 725 objects that were ignored because they are not solid bodies. So that's a big problem and it will take a lot of work to repair the model.

Yes, you could fix the model if you had experience doing 3D work in Autocad, but I don't do 3D work in Autocad, so it would be very difficult and challenging for me figure out how to fix all those problems. Also, you're using a very old version of Autocad and I don't remember what tools are available in that old version, so that's another issue.

If you put your model on Dropbox, and post a link here, maybe someone else would be interested in taking on this challenge, but I simply don't have the time to invest in a big project like this.

Good luck.

To tell the truth, i had a thought to reconstruct the whole ship drom zero to SOLIDWORKS but it will take too long and i think it will be hurtful. So i will bring it back to the autocad designer to fix it. Ok thank you very much all of you. Keep it up !!

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party, but is the DWG a surface model or a solid model? Sometimes the surface models will not import well into SolidWorks because there are problems analyzing the individual surfaces. When you tried to import it, did it give you any options to attempt to "heal" the surfaces?

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, odachek said:

Try export AutoCAD drawing to .sat format and open the .sat file with Solidworks.

I already suggested that and when the OP tried exporting to .sat he received a fatal error. 

You might try merge command on everything in the drawing, when you get the prompt, convert everything to 3D solids (make sure of that part).

Then, purge everything out of the drawing not being used.  Run audit to fix any errors.

Then Export the result to solidworks.  It should work.

it was mentioned earlier but solidworks has a tendency to play nicer with 3d solids.  I've seen this first hand.

Merging everything together into one object is your best bet for this to work because it will give you the prompt and it will give you the option to automatically convert everything to a 3D solid before implementing the union command (merge/union are basically the same thing).

-ChriS