fields and formatting

designerstuart

hi all

in the past I created a format for fields for our company, and now i cannot find out how i did it!

this is how it works: when we create a field, select object, slect polyline, one of the options under format is our own custom one called "xx m²". but it only shows up on our oldest machine. even if the same obeject is lloked at on another machine, the format "XX m²" is no longer there.

any ideas please?

I can't tell if you're referring to formatting for fields or polylines. Typically, a custom format is saved in a configuration file, and each installation has its own set of references to those files. In other words, each user can have a unique workspace, or every user can draw on a single, company-wide set of files.

If you can only see this formatting on one system, it means your custom format is only visible to that machine. To see that formatting across your network, you must copy the format to everyone else's installation or put that file on a network where everyone else can link to it. There are pros and cons to using either scheme.

thanks for the reply. I'm talking about formatting for fields, where that field points to a polyline to get its area.

I guess what I'm really asking is how do you create a custom format for field properties? As it doesn't seem to be stored in the drawing (as you point out). What I see on the other machine is a custom format here (yellow bit):

image.thumb.png.237f2d7e5c67c6791bc05ca7e9100ad4.png

If you need the square meter symbol (m"), select the "Additional Format" button (just under "Precision") and put in the "suffix" space: m\U+00B2. Just add a space before the m if you need to. If this don't work, it could be because of the text font you're using. Give it a try !

7 hours ago, Adju said:

If you need the square meter symbol (m"), select the "Additional Format" button (just under "Precision") and put in the "suffix" space: m\U+00B2. Just add a space before the m if you need to. If this don't work, it could be because of the text font you're using. Give it a try !

Not quite my issue. Once I have done what you suggest, I want to "save" that formatting to a list so I don't have to set it up again each time.

See here: the "colony" ones are custom. How did I add them?!

image.png.b446ea16889ebc91947883314ca05005.png