Help with Entlast

GregGleason

I think "entlast" doesn't do what I thought.  I moved an object and the "entlast" object went to the last created object rather than the object I just moved.

(setq ttt (vlax-ename->vla-object (entlast)))

So I tried to go to the object directly by a region and that failed.

(setq ttt (vlax-ename->vla-object (ssget "_C" '(15.3 0.58) '(15.2 0.57) '((0 . "ATTDEF")))))

What is the proper way to do this?

Also, I tried to find something about "entlast" so I could learn but did not find anything useful.  If someone has a link that's helpful then please let me know.

Greg

18 minutes ago, GregGleason said:

I think "entlast" doesn't do what I thought.  I moved an object and the "entlast" object went to the last created object rather than the object I just moved.

(setq ttt (vlax-ename->vla-object (entlast)))

"Entlast" IS the last created object in the database.

So I tried to go to the object directly by a region and that failed.

(setq ttt (vlax-ename->vla-object (ssget "_C" '(15.3 0.58) '(15.2 0.57) '((0 . "ATTDEF")))))

What is the proper way to do this?

If this is an attribute in a block reference you can select it directly using the "nentsel" function. Otherwise you access it indirectly by selecting the block or iterating the block table depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Edited by dlanorh

Thanks dlanorh.

This is the code that I wound up using:

(setq ss1 (ssget "_C" '(15.3 0.58) '(15.2 0.57) '((0 . "ATTDEF"))))
   (setq ttt (vlax-ename->vla-object (ssname ss1 0)))

It's probably not super elegant, but it worked.

13 hours ago, GregGleason said:

Also, I tried to find something about "entlast" so I could learn but did not find anything useful.  ,,,

Are you serious?

What about starting HERE.

TheSwamp has a help file that covers most functions too.

If you use the VLIDE ( which you should ) highlight the function you want to lookup, then CNTRL+SHIFT+A and you will get the help file.

image.png.b6ee167154be6c6f8003d156346a7c97.png

And of course there is just a simple Google search.

image.thumb.png.971a6067f4339a4c671058185f63392a.png

HTH.

Edited by ronjonp

I don't believe that (entlast) returns last created entity... It's some kind of bug, but not explained through documentation... It may return last entity, but not always...

[EDIT : (entlast) returns always last created object - not entity as function name states...]

Look here :

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=53819.0

And also there is this topic with similar symptom :

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/help-with-entsel/m-p/8565775#M380396

For first link, you have to be logged to be able to download attachments relevant to the topic...

HTH., M.R.

Edited by marko_ribar

On 4/10/2019 at 8:55 AM, ronjonp said:

Are you serious?

What about starting HERE.

TheSwamp has a help file that covers most functions too.

If you use the VLIDE ( which you should ) highlight the function you want to lookup, then CNTRL+SHIFT+A and you will get the help file.

image.png.b6ee167154be6c6f8003d156346a7c97.png

And of course there is just a simple Google search.

image.thumb.png.971a6067f4339a4c671058185f63392a.png

HTH.

Thanks ronjonp for the extra information.  I should have also said that I did find the other the Autodesk info (poor Google Fu on my part) so that I began to get the idea.

The other resources you provided I will look into and start doing homework.  I appreciate the time you took to educate me, and I don't take that for granted, so "thank you" again for pointing me in the direction and the additional resources where I can educate myself.

Greg

On 4/10/2019 at 12:20 PM, marko_ribar said:

I don't believe that (entlast) returns last created entity... It's some kind of bug, but not explained through documentation... It may return last entity, but not always...

[EDIT : (entlast) returns always last created object - not entity as function name states...]

Look here :

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=53819.0

And also there is this topic with similar symptom :

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/visual-lisp-autolisp-and-general/help-with-entsel/m-p/8565775#M380396

For first link, you have to be logged to be able to download attachments relevant to the topic...

HTH., M.R.

Interesting.  Thanks for the heads up marko_ribar on the potential issues.