Automatic save on drag?

CyberAngel

There's always been a pause between the point when I start to drag a selected item or items and the point when it actually begins to move. I took a close look today and the system is saving a backup of the drawing during that pause. This makes no sense. Can anyone explain what causes this and, more importantly, how to stop it?

Yes, that is a pain.  (AFAIK) What it is doing is creating the auto-save copy (.sv$) of the drawing.  The only way to stop it is to turn off automatic save.  The backup file, (.bak) is only created when you QUIT and/or SAVE or SAVE AS, so it can be hours out of date depending on operator paranoia level.😉 

Auto-save can be scheduled for a time increment that is longer which will help a bit without running the risk of losing hours of work if you have to recover a dwg file.  This is done on OPTIONS >> OPEN and SAVE.

Automatic save is apparently a lower priority foreground process than most AutoCad commands so it waits for what;s called a system interrupt to run, and we probably give it one by clicking and/or dragging stuff with no command running.

This is an educated guess based on 37 years of hating computers.

• 1 month later...

I noticed this also at the last place I worked.

I recommend setting autosave to 15/20 minutes and uncheck all the other boxes in options/open and save tab (not that it will fix it).

Are you using the CRC validation feature in the settings?

Autosave can crash drawings too - which always sucks in a wierd, ironic way.

Autosave in a big file is annoying as heck (autosave always seems to kick in while you're in a time crunch).

-ChriS