Drawing work not saving to network, no warnings

Glen1980

Last night I stayed late several hours to finish off some drawings before I go on leave.  I closed Autocad properly, no crashes, no turning off the machine and hoping etc, and came in this morning to a drawing totally unchanged from the previous afternoon circa 5pm.  The .bak was from 5pm, the sv$ was from 5:30 and I was working until just gone 7.  The log file showed that I saved 56 times since opening the drawing just before 3pm including two QSAVES after the last drawing command and shutting down, si this isn't me forgetting to save (I used a different CAD programme that was very unstable and punished people who didn't save every 5-10 minutes, so ctrl+S is second nature to me.)

Has anyone else had issues with this?  The C:\ drive seems fine but things going to the network very occasionally don't save, I've had this in the past but there was always the nagging feeling I may have forgotten to save, hence turning on the log file.

Check your desktop for any .dwgs. The name might be totally different from the original. I've seen files not save to network but they did get saved to the computer's desktop. I thought there was a warning but it might have only been on the command line.

Search for "everything" its a disk searcher it index's your drive and you can do stuff like find *.dwg then sort on date its instant compared to explorer.

Check with who mangages your network the only other thing that may have happened is your locked out to look at the server at time of day. There is just so many variables on a server about who can do what.

First thing I did once I determined the back ups hadn't worked was moan at IT.  THey have multiple backups a day so I asked them to check the back ups and to see if the network was OK.  As you'd expect they blamed AutoCAD as nothing could possibly be wrong with their network.  They are pushing us towards Google drive with everything but as AutoCAD dwl files don't seem to work with that we have to use the physical network.  Does anyone use A360 with positive results?

My thoughts exactly, but it is easier for the IT guys to blame the software than to try find another issue, especially if it is their problem! 

I do all of my work local and copy files to the network.

A lot of newer firewall software and security software out there that is incompatible with CAD and other software. IT personnel are usually clueless. I usually have to track down the problem and show them something from whatever program I am using, then they still don't understand.

I went an entire week with no AutoCAD, went over and over on needing the water jet related programs, yet nothing works here. They have all updates blocked and refuse to update anything themselves.

• Thanks 1

I also do all my work local and copy files to the network.  Our network has always been horrible everyone here has lost files from Word, Excel, AutoCAD and others through the years and trying to open an AutoCAD file found on the network that hasn't been touched in 10 years is little more than a roll of the dice.  

IT does all installs and updates here so if I can explain why we need a certain update they will install it for us, but it's a process.  So many security issues with no keeping browser software up to date and they kept ours years behind while waiting for our online website code to be brought up to date.   It has been getting better lately since the upgraded from Novel+Groupwise to Microsoft+Outlook.  While the network seems faster now I'm still in wait and see mode before I start saving all my work there.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:48 AM, Glen1980 said:

Last night I stayed late several hours to finish off some drawings before I go on leave.  I closed Autocad properly, no crashes, no turning off the machine and hoping etc, and came in this morning to a drawing totally unchanged from the previous afternoon circa 5pm.  The .bak was from 5pm, the sv$ was from 5:30 and I was working until just gone 7.  The log file showed that I saved 56 times since opening the drawing just before 3pm including two QSAVES after the last drawing command and shutting down, si this isn't me forgetting to save (I used a different CAD programme that was very unstable and punished people who didn't save every 5-10 minutes, so ctrl+S is second nature to me.)

Has anyone else had issues with this?  The C:\ drive seems fine but things going to the network very occasionally don't save, I've had this in the past but there was always the nagging feeling I may have forgotten to save, hence turning on the log file.

If you saved TWICE before closing AutoCAD, then the .BAK file would be the same as the .DWG (that is missing). You said your .BAK was from 5PM, so one or both of the QSAVES you say you made at 7PM must have failed.

When you did shut down AutoCAD, did you get prompted to save again (sometimes people will zoom, pan, etc., which causes DBMOD to change, which will prompt you to save).

If so, did you answer "yes"?

If you want to save locally then copy to network you could set up a vl-filecopy in a script where you do the save and close but write the script with the last dwg name.

In the past for large projects I would always just save to my C drive and occasionally paste copies on our company server like at the end of the day (similar to you).  For some server configurations the autosave feature won't play nice or work properly and I've never figured out why (dealt with that one for like 10 yrs at my last job).

BUT - there can be server maintenance or some other kind of network activity like disc replication where it might be possible for your session to time out or get disconnected while your computer still thinks everything is hunky dory. 

There also can be a lag time between saving the file over and actually seeing it server-side which could also be the culprit.  It just has to do with how the network is configured. 

The disc replication feature some companies use can destroy your connectivity site-wide until the updating is complete.  Usually that kind of stuff is programmed at night when no one is around but there are time zone differences which IT guys can forget.

-ChriS

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, rkmcswain said:

If you saved TWICE before closing AutoCAD, then the .BAK file would be the same as the .DWG (that is missing). You said your .BAK was from 5PM, so one or both of the QSAVES you say you made at 7PM must have failed.

When you did shut down AutoCAD, did you get prompted to save again (sometimes people will zoom, pan, etc., which causes DBMOD to change, which will prompt you to save).

If so, did you answer "yes"?

I always click Yes even if I know all I have done is zoom.  The two saves after finishing were an example, I would have saved maybe somewhere in the ten to twenty times range given the drawing was open 4 hours and I counted 56 save commands from the log file.  There would also have been autosaves.  Something went seriously screwy with the network.

At that time of night saving to the 😄 drive wouldn't be an issue but I'm working in a team of 6 people with a wider architectural team of 50.  Hoping they all remember to copy to the network is a non-starter.  Most newbies get bollocked early doors in their career here for having a day off and finding their drawings are on their c drive or their private network drive so it is discouraged.  By the sounds of it our network is pretty good, I haven't had an issue like this for a good couple of years, we haven't even had any server downtime in the last 6 months and that is in a large company that insists on working at head office with around 200 people in house.

Yes and don't leave a drawing open on your computer for like a month without saving lol.  I had to help a government worker one time try to recover a file he worked on that whole time and we weren't able to recover the data.  His autosave apparently wasn't working.

A lot of people disable autosave because it can be annoying and can't be stopped once it starts (bad idea).

-ChriS