Full autocad or LT version

tat

Hello

Ive been using the free version of Autocad, & I want to continue but do I buy the full autocad or LT version. I only draw 2D residential house projects

Thanks

Tat

There is no "free" version of AutoCAD, unless you are talking about the educational version. If so, what are you using now? AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT?

Before deciding, you might want to check out BricsCAD, which is available as a perpetual license (you own it), while AutoCAD and LT can only be rented (you stop paying, it stops working).

• Like 1

What "free" version of AutoCAD have you been using? Are you going to be doing this with a company or as a sub-contractor for a builder? Well for one you can't "buy" AutoCAD anymore, you have to lease it through subscription. Which means that if you stop paying the yearly subscription you lose access to the software. If it was me I'd sign up for the Revit LT Suite. This way you'd get Revit LT and AutoCAD LT to use. 
Revit LT
Of course there are other options such as BricsCAD, NanoCAD, TurboCAD and other AutoCAD type software that allow full purchase.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The most important thing is what your customers want. If your market insists on 3D design and drafting files, AutoCAD LT will not be enough. And  If you work as a partner or subcontractor for another construction company that has standardized on full AutoCAD with 3D, then you may have no option but to make the same choice.

I have used both within the building industry, my vote would be LT. The only thing I would ever consider full Autocad for, is its ability to use programming languages Lisp, VBA, etc. But as already mentioned there are other options Bricscad is in many ways much better than Autocad.

Drawing houses in 3d but its actually 2.5d and was written some 25 years ago it is available still and I am looking at revamping and updating, its not my software but I co-wrote a lot of it and have been given rights to sell. I would look at Briscad plus an add on like CADARC. There are others out there.

I need to redo a sample image.

If you want more details email info@alanh.com.au

3dhouse.jpg

I call it 2.5d as its not using solids, but standard Autocad objects no super smart objects. But yes you draw say a house then open up layouts and do views of all the elevations with "Hide" turned on. Like wise the roofs will appear solid or you can convert to lines. The window and door routines punch a hole through the walls, Revit say has smart windows you can move them, here you would erase and then add new window. The windows have a number of styles and there are sub dcl's for further details.

image.png.5def43c5779e4dc74c64bdd12ea60acb.png

Edited by BIGAL

Mostly being cheeky but being solid doesn't have any bearing on being 3d or not. ;)

Loads of surface programs are true 3D. Cadarc looks cool.

We used it as a marketing tool very inexpensive, would give away with a Autocad purchase.

I do need to get some plans done or some video records etc.

It has smart user layering behind it so user use always draws object on correct layer. Walls widths totally user definable as well as a reread so you can re measure existing walls saves entering widths. Has a simple floor plan rooms to walls routine.

Need to look at a non metric version.

Edited by BIGAL

For me that's 3D, anything that uses all 3 axis is 3D, solids are another thing altogether but there is such a thing as 2D solids in LT. I draw just about everything in 3D using LT. The big difference is the available tools included with LT, so it is a question of how much time you are willing to put into a drawing to get the results. LT does have the "hide" command so views with hidden line removal are also possible. All by it's self just using LT you can do a lot, but add in the power of Excel and you can do it quicker (if you don't count the weeks and months of programming 😜).

301188801_Officedesk.jpg.aeac4416ea38c14c48251159ee0c0f3c.jpgKitchen.jpg.a65be0987f93d64922254c0cc957a781.jpg

• Like 1

Steven-g obviously using the same technique in LT, like the woodgrain finish.

Cadarc was developed over about 3 years with continuous development and has a brother package CT-Cadcivil.

Here is a simple 3d table as an example of using Autocad, Briscad, Intellicad etc. Or as Steven mentioned a excel spreadsheet for input.

Make furniture table.lsp Multi GETVALS.lsp