How to crop excess area surrounding a DWG floor plan

I need to crop the excess area around a floor plan that is a DWG file. I have AutoDesk DWG TrueView 2019 but this is only a viewer and not an editor. Do I need to purchase different software to do this?

Yes, DWG Trueview is only a viewer.  Unfortunately I do not have access to my CAD computer at the moment and I cannot recall what capabilities it may have to help you solve your problem.  Since you have a drawing file, and I am assuming it is a 2D drawing, you could download the free 2D CAD program called Draftsight, open the file, and using the TRIM command trim away the unnecessary lines then save the drawing under a new name.

Heads up, Draftsight is NO longer going to offer a free version for Windows.
https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/download-draftsight/

Looks like they are going subscription

"All free versions of DraftSight (2018 or earlier) will cease to run after 12/31/2019"

Perhaps LibreCAD or QCAD can help. I have both to be pretty lacking in usability.

Cyberangel has no cad.

Not sure if true view allows a layout tab with a window not loaded on my pc.

If you just want cheap can buy basic versions of alternative software at a reasonable cost, Briscad Intellicad ZWcad etc.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:24 AM, DanW1130 said:

I need to crop the excess area around a floor plan that is a DWG file. I have AutoDesk DWG TrueView 2019 but this is only a viewer and not an editor. Do I need to purchase different software to do this?

I wonder why you need to crop the excess area. If you have no cad software, then you will not be working with the DWG file as a drawing.

If you merely need to make a print without the excess area, then in TrueView you can freeze layers and also plot from model space by means of a window selection.