How to draw this intertwined thing?

Zox

Really, I was looking at this and was wondering how do I draw it in 3D? My guess is it probably is done by 'sweep' command but then I have to have the line first but how do I then draw the line to go like that?

intert.jpg

sweep.jpg

I would start with a helix but then because the ends are splayed a bit I would trace over the helix to make a spline with 4 fit points. I would then move the end point out radially a bit to make room for the sphere.  You can then use polar array to make the 3 legs.

For the model below I set the helix height to 60 and the number of turns to 0.5.  The circle I swept could be a bit larger.

image.png.11bf7854cb6c0ecdd248af0e2b2edcef.png

• Like 1

Thanks, lrm. To be honest I didn't know about helix and polar array and now in few minutes I made a shape that kind of looks like what I was trying to make. BTW is there perhaps some quick way to make those "ribs" or dimples?

3d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, GP_. Although I don't have HELIX2, but I see that is something you coded and I downloaded .LSP file but I guess I need to put it somewhere. Nevertheless, I got the same effect by sweeping a perpendicular line alongside the helix and then by using "Extract Edges" command I removed the mesh and was only left with the edge line.