Right Click Shortcut Menu

Running Civil 3D 2018.  Having issues with Right click.  I want it to act like the enter command ONLY while I am in a command.  I am used to the following for example.

1. Type L and hit enter

2. Left click where I want my line to begin, move my cursor and then left click again to end the line, then Right click to end the command.

Problem I am running into is that the right click always brings up the shortcut menu and that is NOT what I want it to do.  I want it to cancel out of the command.  I have checked the User Preference settings and no matter what combination I do it will NOT let me allow that to happen.  It wants to bring up the shortcut menu no matter what. 

Is there a system variable or two or three that I need to change as well?  I have been an autocad user for 10 years now and can always figure out what the heck is going on. This one is really annoying me.

Any help is great.

I was not kidding the space bar is a real big button easy to find and for stuff like ->  L spacebar pickpt pickpt spacebar it works ! It is as fast as finding the right button may even be faster.

I do post funny stuff at times but this was a legitimate answer.

Yeah I hear ya.  Didn't mean to make it sound like it did.  Was a frustrating day.  I def have been using the spacebar in place of the right click.  I just was so used to the right click that I didn't want to change my ways (go figure).  Anyway, the shortcutmenu variable to 27 seems to be doing the job as well.  At least now I have a few solutions.

Many thanks folks.  This IT ticket can be considered closed.

Have you looked in the right click settings? These are my settings which gives you the behavior that you are seeking. If you want to change the grayed out options, uncheck the "Turn on time-sensitive right click". Check it again after changing the settings if you use it.

22524495_RightClick.jpg.f42675fcaf034b715a380ac4edde51f9.jpg

• Like 1

RobDraw

I have tried those settings as it made sense that it should behave how I want it to.  For some reason thought it would still behave differently.  That is when I though maybe there was a system variable that needed to change as well.  It wasn't until Romero suggested that I change the SHORTCUTMENU variable to 27 that it started working properly.  I don't know.  It seems to be working now just fine if I change the variable but unfortunately I am mostly using MicroStation now since I am in the Civil world.  

I don't hate MicroStation, just wish I was using AutoCAD more often than just the few clients that require it. 

I think a better option would be to use a multi-button mouse that has the ability to set each button to a specific command. Then you could have a special button for "Enter" whether you're in a command or not. For example. I'm using a Logitech G600 MMO mouse. I can set up to 60 unique commands using the 12-key thumb buttons alone. Significantly reduces the number of times I have to move from mouse to keyboard, especially when entering numbers.

Granted this is a bit tricky to get used to, but once you do you'll never go back.

SuperCAD I may have to take your advice and get a new wired button clicker so that I can program buttons for MicroStation as well.  Im sure it will take time getting used to but work smarter not harder right. 

Exactly. It's becoming more difficult to find a mouse that was originally made in 2012, but I've found them on Amazon. I just picked up two new ones in case I wear them out.

The Razor Naga might be a good option too, but I felt it was too limiting for my tastes. My G600 has a button that allows me to temporarily switch the functions of the 12-key thumb buttons, and I use that as my number pad.

I am Binging that mouse right now.  May have to just order it and get used to it.  Thanks for the advice.  I just wish Autodesk would ask me first about the changes they want to make so I can give my blessing!!!

I am old enough to remember digitisers and a proficient user was extremely fast and just knew where the squares were advantage is just the amount of options you can have on a pad. Lots will remember 4 button GTCO. I still have a small one bought a few years ago so runs with windows you can set it up for Cad word excel etc. It worked but did not give the performance boost I was looking for.