Layer data dissapering

NickBP

Hi

We have recently come across an issue whereby all the drawn data whether it be lines, text etc vanishes from a dwg. The layer itself is still present but nothing in either paper or model space. I had thought this was due to a colleague using the file at the same time and accidentally deleting it but having used it solo today i am mystified???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Obviously, that is something that shouldn't happen, so you need to figure out what is causing it. Do you use any custom programming (Lisp, VBA, Macro's etc.) that would be the first thing to know? Programs can become corrupt so is this a new problem, a new version of Autocad recently downloaded, or just on certain drawings? You need to narrow it down and make the problem repeatable, so does it occur with any kind of regularity or with certain types of editing/commands. It might help to make sure you have 'logfiles' turned on so you can look back through the command history to see if you can spot where the problem is happening.

Could it be something simple like not saving the work as a differently named drawing, and then when AutoCAD is started, it always creates a new drawing of the same name, which overwrites the previous work.

Can you provide more detail? Is everything on one layer, or is it the work on only one layer that disappears? Is it possible that the layer was accidentally turned off or frozen? 

This happened to me once or twice. I had used the Undo command while in the Block Editor. Doesn't make sense, I know, but AutoCAD does strange things.