Need Drafter’s Feedback-What Type of Drafting Am I Doing

Jim Clayton

Hey everyone. So I’m In the middle of sprucing up my resume. I work for a company that manufactures/sells Thermocouples, Thermowells, Pressure Gauges, and Magnetic Level Indicators. I don’t know how I should categorize this on my resume, because there’s the obvious Mechanical drafting aspect to it, but there’s also Electrical involved in every product. And since my office primarily deals with the O&G industry, there’s a lot of Piping, routing, pressure vessels etc. that are drawn regularly. I don’t want to understate the scope of my daily job functions, but I also don’t want to invent a new term and sound like a jackass. Is there a catch all drafting term for what I’m doing? Thanks for the help.

Well the body of the resume will obviously have a description of some of the job functions, but I was just trying to find the best label to put in a brief summary part off to the side.  I was initially leaning towards Electro-Mechanical but I do so much work with pipe/tubing that I wanted to make sure that would be the most appropriate.  I appreciate all the help.  Tks.

Honestly if the systems involve electrical components you are doing both types of drafting even though the focus is mechanical.  So if it were me, I would use both of those on my resume because it sounds more well-rounded and it is more accurate anyway.

If you want to be more specific you might just call it "Mechanical drafting to include _____, _____, _____, and related electrical subsystems".

-ChriS

I do understand the problem.

In my time I've done more or less most things engineering - from Hydraulic rams/pumps, gearing, vehicle bodywork, wiring harnesses, industrial machinery design,  instrumentation, process pipework, HVAC, general fabrication, etc.etc. (even building plans as a sideline).

It can be difficult to get it all into a CV/resume without writing an essay which would be too long.

I found the best approach was to have a basic document and then tailor it for the position I was applying for, emphasising what was relevant to that position and leaving out what wasn't.
(Or just putting a basic 'I am also competent at .....').

So if the new job is electrical based describe yourself as Electrical/mechanical.

If it's mechanical based the describe yourself as Mechanical/electrical.

It may seem counter intuitive to leave out some of your experience/skills, but if they are not relevent to the role you are applying for then the new employer won't be that interested anyway.

Edited by nukecad

I agree with Nukecad have more than 1 resume. I have 2 basically, Experinced Civil Engineer, Cad software sales & support, plus any others I need, Uber driver maybe next career.