Activation Code Problems

David Devitt

Hello!

I have recently installed AutoCAD 2008 on a new Windows 10 computer. Everyday when I open AutoCAD for the first time, I receive the "AutoCAD 2008 Product Registration" message asking me to click on either "Activate the product" or "Run the product". I, of course choose to activate the product using the Serial Key that I have from my purchased AutoCAD software disk aand then insert the activation code of the day. Can anyone help me understand why I have to do this everyday and how do I get my activation to stick? I am now receiving messages that I have used up my allotted number of activations. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Dave  

2008 on Windows 10 is probably going to be a problem. Not just because it's old software on a new OS but because of the way Autodesk licensing works now. I even had trouble installing 2018 on my new Windows 10 computer. I had to download new installation files from the subscription site. The old installation files that I used last year to install on my previous computer didn't work anymore. The program installed fine, and it was working yesterday, but today it wouldn't open. I kept getting a message about the licensing service not working and it was telling me to enter a different serial number or log into my account as a different user. So, after I spent hours chasing my tail, I finally downloaded and installed using the new files and everything is working fine now.

So, as ammobake mentioned, you should contact Autodesk support and ask them nicely if they will honor your old software and allow you to install it.

Yeah theres definitely something with windows 10 that's a little funky right now.  Our company is trying to install Civil3D 2019 and having all kinds of problems we've been working through.  They eventually figured out a way to force windows power shell to install it properly on our guinea pig machines  (fortunately, not something I have to deal with).  Our company uses a lot of custom settings and add-ons for road work that have been throwing a wrench into things.

-ChriS

It's funny because my old 2012 perpetual license of Photoshop CS6 installed with the greatest of ease, but this subscription based Autocad 2018 had me pulling my hair out. 😫

weldo-beales suggested this: Right click on the autocad shortcut, select "run as administrator" do everything as you normally would and it should work from then on.

So far, this approach seems to have worked. I'll find out for sure tomorrow morning when I boot up. Thank you all for your help!

6 minutes ago, David Devitt said:

weldo-beales suggested this: Right click on the autocad shortcut, select "run as administrator" do everything as you normally would and it should work from then on.

So far, this approach seems to have worked. I'll find out for sure tomorrow morning when I boot up. Thank you all for your help!

Yeah, I tried the "Run as Administrator" thing but it didn't work for me. Hopefully it will work for you.

Where I used to work had a message you have 3 days left before license runs out, some just stopped working altogether no license, the answer given was that IT had changed network server stopping the pinging of Autodesk to check for a license. I know when installing some Autocads our IT has a setup that blocks external pings, it has a list of excemptions, the software will install but no server reponse re license. When you have over 1000 pcs IT is GOD.

Loads of problems with our subscription copies this morning in the UK.  Mostly seems to people on 2018 LT with Win 10.  Luckily I'm in the stone age and still have Win 7.

I am on Windows 7 at work and Server problems last week had license warnings popping up. Seems fine today.  

I installed some old AutoCAD a coworker had on Windows 10 lap top, his problems were associated with the UAC (User Account Control). I also did a clean uninstall of all his AutoCAD/Autodesk.

lol Bigal. With Bentley Microstation the moment you use the software after your license expires they can immediately charge you for another term period depending on what plan you have which can be like 3 grand (oof).  Even if it's like a few minutes.  Plus it's pretty overpriced and you only get access to other bentley programs for like a month or something after subscribing.

Hope I never have to deal with that again.

They also have a thing where if you install the license on two computers and you use it at the same time they will actually somehow dick tracy that thing over the interwebs and charge you for two seats for the term period.

ChriS