AutoCAD 3D - presspull to make an indent

CMitchell90

Hi all, whilst this relates to AutoCAD 3D and I thought about posting it there, I feel it to be a very basic and beginners issue.

ive used LT for years at work and finally convinced them to give me full AutoCAD for 3D features. And have already hit an early issue.

lets say I draw a square, and then a circle inside it. I extrude the square by 50 and then move the circle up 50 to be at the same level, and use presspull on the circle with the aim of removing 20mm of the cube, creating a circle indent. But instead it still extrudes the circle further upwards instead of down.

i then decide to draw the circle after extruding the square, so that it is definitely on that surface, but when using presspull it yet again extrudes the circle upwards, or removes the circle throughout the cube instead of a 20mm thick disc being removed.

So I’m wondering how to solve this? Once this simple hurdle is solved, I’m hoping I can then go on to draw inside that extrusion and add an island shape within the crater I created. I realise I could draw several different height shapes and then merge the 3D shapes but this seems a long way around a simple command that I should be able to understand and work with.

sorry for a long winded explanation. I’ve tried finding tutorials online but they all cover presspull when removing a full shape from another, such as when creating a hole in an object which is not quite what I want, and I’ve also struggled to know how to word my problem in the first place. 

Unless something has changed in 2019, Autocad doesn't have live boolean functionality like other programs have. You can't presspull one object into another and see it automatically cut a hole. You would have to manually subtract one object from the other.

As for presspull only working in one direction, you should be able to extrude in either direction, positive or negative. Just initiate the command, drag your cursor in the direction you want to extrude and then type 20. It should extrude in the direction of your cursor. But you will still have to subtract the cylinder from the cube in order to create the hole.

But again, I don't use 2019, so I don't know if presspull works differently in that version.

Also, I moved your question to the 3D section, even though it's a beginner question, it's still a 3D question.

In 2020, if you hold down 'Ctrl' it will subtract, sort of. It doesn't and won't work like other 3D programs (SketchUp and Form-Z).

another option to do what you want is to draw half this object in 2D as a polyline and arcs where you want, join command to join them together, then use revolve command to turn it into a 3d solid by rotating it around 360 degrees on an axis.

if you are stuck on using a square shape on the outside you would just either use slice command to cut the edges off - your shape would need to allow some excess to cut though - or use a subtract command to remove the edges you don't want.

But, if you use this method you could draw your center "raise" in the middle of the crater/divot too without any other 3d objects being needed.

-Chris

When using PRESSPULL, if you have to press or pull at a specific dimension (20 in this case) a positive number will always result in a boss (i.e. adding material) normal to the plane your pulling from. If you want to press it into, or cut into, another solid, use a negative number (-20 in this case).

If you want to pull the shape all the way through the solid, as in a thru cut, just drag the pull shape all the way through and hit enter without specifying a distance.

Presspull will extrude in the direction your mouse moves it, then type in the distance.

Can you post a drawing of what you have so far?

Might be a setting, work fine here.

Command: presspull

Select object or bounded area:
Specify extrusion height or [Multiple]:
Specify extrusion height or [Multiple]:10

1 extrusion(s) created

PressPull.png

Do you know what setting controls this behavior? To my knowledge, the video I linked to is the way PRESSPULL has worked for years, on multiple versions, and on multiple installations.