Way of using no-plot text?

Siberian

Now and then I need to place some temporary text in my model just as a reminder to take care of something later. Ideally it should have some no-plot-option and/or a way of hiding it without too much clicking. What is your preferred way of doing this?

There is no such thing in Revit. But most people have a practice where they have a "working view", then a "sheet view". Place your notes in your working view and leave the sheet view unchanged. 

Or, create a whole set of Views specific for notes that you know you'll regularly refer to throughout the project. 

-TZ

There are a number of ways that people have come up with but they all require changing visibility before and after printing. While these methods are easy to implement, it's just as easy to forget to do the manual changes causing unwanted notes on drawings or notes not being seen, i.e. user error.

I'm with TZ on this. Utilize working views for this type of thing.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that this should be a relatively easy feature to program and that there has been considerable demand for no plot text throughout the years. For the price of the software and the number of users, I feel as though this is one of many significant oversights on the company. Granted there are workarounds or workflow methods which can create a similar result, but rather than discrediting the idea which is common to many professionals and was an available option on more primitive software maybe Autodesk should just give the customer what they want.......

20 hours ago, Jdive85 said:

It seems to me that this should be a relatively easy feature to program and that there has been considerable demand for no plot text throughout the years. For the price of the software and the number of users, I feel as though this is one of many significant oversights on the company.

If I had a nickel for all the times people have said this, I'd be rich man. If it were easy, it would be feature. The fact that there is a huge demand for it and it is not available tells me that it is not easy.

• 1 month later...

What I like to do, is add a drawing revision at the start of my projects called "FOLLOW UP REQUIRED". On this revision I add clouds for all items that, well need follow up. Also on things like standard notes that will need project specific information added, you can tag the cloud. if you edit the revision cloud tag, you can have it just have the comment of the cloud shown. that way you can have instructions displayed. you can choose to have this cloud and tag, just cloud, just tag or none.

While this doesn't solve the non-plot text problem, it does allow you to universally turn off all clouds and tags from the revisions manager for progress prints. If an item hasn't been resolved and the cloud deleted, it will show up on your sheet that "FOLLOW UP is REQUIRED" prompting checkers to investigate further for the reason why.

It would still be nice to have the non-plot text feature though.

I like that solution. Using revisions makes a lot of sense. Especially in the early stages of the project before the revision schedule comes into play but I think at that point all the previous revisions can be deleted. Simple, easy to manage at a global level. Yeah, good idea.

Thanks for posting it!

On 9/19/2019 at 6:43 AM, Sean S said:

It would still be nice to have the non-plot text feature though.

If Revit did have a non-plot text feature, imagine the trade-off. Sure, you can have a text in a View that won't plot, but that also means you can unintentionally set text to non-plot and an important note, label or tag that should be shown is now missing off your submission drawings. I cannot fathom going back to AutoCAD style ways. 

As nice as this feature may be, the trade-off is more negative than positive. Your sheet view should be exactly that - what shall be printed on the sheet, nothing more and nothing less. Makes things simple. 

I do like the tip. Works great for a single designer, not sure I would implement this with a team though. 

-TZ

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 11:37 AM, RobDraw said:

The fact that there is a huge demand for it and it is not available tells me that it is not easy.

Hardly. 

FILEDIA in AutoCAD could be fixed by one programmer in less than an hour, yet it continues to generate questions for current and future generations of AutoCAD users.

By "fixed" I mean when it's set to 0, have the resulting (and currently confusing) command prompt offer to "restore the dialogs" instead of leaving the user clueless.

We will be watching the Autodesk roadmap to Revit 2030 for any non-plot paper functionality. Have faith, it will come.

Edited by halam
  • Dislike 1

• 1 year later...

Always found defpoints in Autocad useful. Wanting it for Revit but can't - often need notes there and then on current pages to remind me what do to. With these projects we have hundreds of other pages and if I put notes there they are easily lost.

• 2 years later...

make a query annotation family with a global on / off

its schedulable, easy to hide, works with rather than against the software

the quicker you stop trying to compare Revit to Autocad or anything else, the better your experience will be

• Agree 1