Inserting Image Files Into AutoCAD

David Devitt

Hello Friendly Forum Users!

Occasionally I capture Google Map images and insert them as PDF's into drawings that I create in AutoCAD. In the past I would locate a site in Google Maps, tap my "Print Screen" key on my keyboard, enter my Adobe Acrobat X Pro program, click "Create PDF From Clipboard" and I had a PDF that I could insert into AutoCAD. 

I now am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and seem unable to create a simple PDF from a "Print Screen" command.

Can anyone in this forum suggest a method that I can use to turn a simple webpage screen shot into a PDF? The folks at Adobe were unable to help me.

I  hope that this makes sense.

Thanks,

Dave

Why does it need to be PDF? If you use PrtSc you can paste directly into Autocad using Ctrlv as an ole image, and if you then really need PDF plot from Autocad to PDF! I'm pretty sure some of the free image programs like Gimp or Inkscape would let you manipulate and print the images to PDF as well.

I have moved your thread to the Design Software Forum.

What exactly is the problem?

This is from Acrobat DC help.

In Acrobat, choose File > Create > PDF from Clipboard. Or Choose Tools > Create PDF > Clipboard > Create.

Note: The PDF from Clipboard command appears only when content is copied to the Clipboard. If the Clipboard is empty, the command is disabled.

To  SLW210: That's been the misunderstanding that I'm having with Adobe DC. I've followed the the steps (In Acrobat, choose File > Create > PDF from Clipboard. Or Choose Tools > Create PDF > Clipboard > Create) but how do I copy content to the clipboard? My "Print Screen" key doesn't seem to work in that way.

That sounds odd, but apparently some running programs can take over the PrtSc key, so check what you have running in the background. Does Alt + PrtSc work?

As @eldon recommended, use the Snipping Tool.  If you are using Windows 10 you can find it under Windows Accessories.

image.png.89614b5e509a4b736a7254b4e3e49856.png

It is more efficient than Print Screen and gives you the option of saving the file in a variety of formats. Drag the icon to your desktop for easy access.  If you want to insert the image into AutoCAD you do not need to save the image.  Just click the copy icon in the Snipping Tool window and then do a Ctrl-V (paste) in AutoCAD.

Edited by lrm

You might also try the superhatch feature.

It should work great with PDF or a raster.

But in google earth pro there is an export feature that works good for getting image files.

I typically draw a line a known length in google earth (50ft, 100ft etc..)

I then scale it up so that line corresponds to 1:1 scale in CAD.

It's never 100% perfect but pretty darn close.

If you already have the PDF you can use the "take a snapshot" feature in adobe that will export an image.

The end-resulting resolution would just depend on the resolution of the original and the size of the region you are snapshotting.

So in some cases you might need to go back to google earth and zoom in further to get better res.

-ChriS

I also believe there is an autoacad add-on that can import google earth topography and overlay it with the imagery as a texture file.

There was a shareware add-on that could do this back in the day.

But I'm sure we've improved quite a bit from then.  There's probably free options on the autocad app store for this.

-ChriS

5 hours ago, David Devitt said:

To  SLW210: That's been the misunderstanding that I'm having with Adobe DC. I've followed the the steps (In Acrobat, choose File > Create > PDF from Clipboard. Or Choose Tools > Create PDF > Clipboard > Create) but how do I copy content to the clipboard? My "Print Screen" key doesn't seem to work in that way.

That seems to be a problem on your computer and Print Screen, I have no problems here.

What OS are you using? What are your computer specifications?

I usually work on such things in a photo editor to crop and clean them up, so I select and Copy to Clip Board from a photo editor. The Snipping Tool should do the trick.

Well... I used the Snipping Tool and was able to insert my images into AutoCAD; then things went south.

I  can't seem to be able to scale the images. Usually, I would draw a 1" line along the Google scale bar and reduce the size of my image file to match that line (i.e. 1"=100'), but the image is unscaleable. Can anyone please tell me what my next step is to scale my image? Thanks

If doing earth satellite maps look into georeferenced images they will scale correctly for you and jump to real world co-ordinates. Google NearMap