publish to pdf issue

masterfal

8 hours ago, masterfal said:

after you set one up it only stays in that drawing though yeh? doesn't automatically show up for use in other drawings unless its imported? not at work at moment so can't test it out

Correct. You could add it to your template though.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, RobDraw said:

Having layouts in model space is not something I would recommend. It's going technologically backwards.

Traditional sheet tabs are pretty foolproof.

There are some cases where setting up your sheets in model space is helpful.

At my current employer we use model space sheets for all DOT related content in Civil3D.  We use a special cad add-on that is named after our general manager.

So for like DOT "F sheets" (plan and profile) all sheets are in one cad file in model space.

we use a custom plot command (lisp routine) that plots all the sheet views in order.  for drawings in other cad files, it closes the current drawing, opens the next one in the set, prints that one, etc....  without needing to use sheet set manager at all.

BUT I will say that sheet set manager is pretty big now.

The custom data links is what threw me off at first but it's not that bad when you grasp how it works.

I guess for smaller residential or small commercial stuff I would probably just stick with tabs.

Ideally, from a workflow perspective, you need to decide the methodology before beginning the project.

So if you are using sheet set manager, just do it from the very beginning.

moving to sheet set manager after you're like 40 sheets in is stressful and if it's not required, It's usually just easier to press on with how you got it.

ChriS

15 hours ago, maratovich said:

Trial version = full version.
All functions work.

i tried it out at home, following the way you did it in vid and got it to work no problems. now at work trying same process and its not working..

everything seems to be correct and it even says 'the publication is completed' after i click publish to pdf but no pdf file is being created

not sure what i'm doing wrong.

(had to grab the license as my 7 day trial expired ages ago..)

image.thumb.png.b3546577177e5379ef6b4845f36dd454.png

image.png.142ad97c851e224c562264c5dd498cb3.png

On 6/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, masterfal said:

i usually just get print setup right on 1 of my layouts and then i got a handy lisp that copies that exact setup to every other sheet instantly. doesn't take long at all really

might have a little look into named page setups. after you set one up it only stays in that drawing though yeh? doesn't automatically show up for use in other drawings unless its imported? not at work at moment so can't test it out

Worth looking into.  While by default page setups don't import with layouts when I pick a layout in my Ribbon it's imported with both one for plotting and one for PDF using a free lisp routine http://lee-mac.com/steal.html to bring it all in. Since page setups keep things simple as long as you use either Layout or Extents (Never Window) I can quick plot to either the plotter or a PDF file with macros for each in my Ribbon as well.  Haven't had a plotting issue in over a quarter century of using Paper Space to plot.

My Ribbon macro for an 11" × 17" Layout is:

^C^C^P(Steal (strcat (vl-filename-directory (getenv "QnewTemplate")) (chr 92) "AutoCAD Template" (chr 92) "Templates.dwt") (list (list "Page Setups" (list "11×17" "11×17 PDF"))(list "Layouts" (list "11×17")))) .regen

It would have to be modified for for each path, template, and layout you need.  I've been using it for years and as we use many types and sizes of layouts being able to pop in and plot whichever I need from a drop-down list in my Ribbon it only takes a few seconds.

Thanks again Lee Mac for making me more efficient.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Turns out in order to fix these strange things occurring, I needed to 'reset settings to default'. Don't know what it was exactly but it seems over time i'd somehow mucked up a setting somewhere which was stuffing everything up. Resetting my settings fixed it.

Before i got to that point though i tested out this 'revers' program to assist with publishing. Once you know how to use it its such a handy little program. If you do alot of printing/publishing and want to try streamline everything I'd highly recommend checking it out if you haven't done so already.