Autodesk Previous Version Support Changes

CAD Panacea

CAD Panacea

Starting on August 31, 2019, you will no longer be able to obtain product activations for Autodesk products, version 2010 and earlier. This will extend to Autodesk products 2016 and earlier sometime in the year 2021.

What does this mean for you? If you have a perpetual license of an Autodesk product 2010 or earlier and need to switch computers, or perform any other action that would require a new activation code from Autodesk, your software will be dead and unusable. This affects standalone and network licenses. Of course in the case of network licenses, your product will still work until the next network LIC file is generated and installed.

These time limitations also affect technical support. This is clearly another move by Autodesk to get users onto the current version and into a subscription. It would seem as if most users of older versions such as this are going to force themselves out of using said versions at some point soon anyway, due to hardware and operating system changes.

What do you think? Does this affect you at all?

View the full article

There will be screaming.  Autodesk has just redefined the word "perpetual".

Edited by ReMark
  • Funny 1

Here in Aus we have consumer laws and a product becoming unsuseable is interesting.

In syaing that Autodesk has deep pockets for lawyers.

Edited by BIGAL

Meh, as long as I can at least use 1 version back I am OK. Honestly not a big deal. People are free to use "OtherCAD" all they want.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, f700es said:

Meh, as long as I can at least use 1 version back I am OK. Honestly not a big deal. People are free to use "OtherCAD" all they want.

Exactly. 

I'm not so sure a "perpetual license" is the answer in today's tech world. How else do you drag people out of using the same version for decades? There are even people on this forum who are still on R14 and while they have heavily customized their software and they produce great things, they are the exception to the rule. It becomes the Microsoft IE6 story if software companies don't do something about it. 

A company buying a particular version of software and operating it for decades is very different than, say, a company buying equipment and operating it for decades. Software changes - and so does the hardware it's dependent upon. I appreciate the people who do choose to upgrade AutoCAD every year or few years but that's not the case with everyone. 

If you're on AutoCAD 2009 and earlier then you're not a serious AutoCAD user, with few exceptions (David Bethel for instance). 

-TZ

• Like 1

BINGO! Software is NOT equipment in any way, shape or form! I also agree in your assessment of artists like David Bethel. A true artist like him can use just about anything and he has is procedure down to a science. 

36 minutes ago, f700es said:

BINGO! Software is NOT equipment in any way, shape or form! I also agree in your assessment of artists like David Bethel. A true artist like him can use just about anything and he has is procedure down to a science. 

Take my software that I use: I think the Revit platform has had great success in keeping users in the latest version without the software developer forcing the issue. I don't know if the non-forward/backward compatibility was an internal scheme, or if there are legitimate software limitations that caused this, but in any event it has worked in keeping all users in more current versions. It was the market that decided it though. Teams themselves decided to use "Revit version 20XX" on each project, or companies decided internally that they are not going back to "Revit version 20XX for all new projects", etc. 

It's better to pull people into your values, not push them. Revit provided a way to pull people in without pushing/forcing the issue. Then again, Revit is still considered young and growing, and AutoCAD hit its plateau years back, so I think this must be considered as well. 

Internet browsers, browser apps, smart phone apps, etc all continually update and upgrade. We are all used to it and it's for the better. It's like the person who still uses the torrent'ed Adobe Photoshop CS2.... they're happy with sitting on that version forever. 

And maybe that's RK's point? AutoCAD hasn't really "changed" in so many years, just let it be for those who are AutoCAD-forever's. Doesn't matter if it's AutoCAD 2009 or AutoCAD 2019, it's lines, circles, rectangles, splines and LISP routines. Maybe that's what I've been missing this whole time - to continue to pay for the same exact software year after year is a bit pointless. 

Okay I'm on board with RK now, I see the light. I think AutoCAD should be like the free version of Draftsight - just make it free with an email registration and be done with it lol. 

-TZ

Maybe not a "free" version but I still think that there should be 3 versions of AutoCAD. AutoCAD LT (without subscription) for around $500 USD. AutoCAD, for around $1,500 (without subscription) The vanilla AutoCAD, without rendering with full 3D and lisp etc. AutoCAD One, the full blown and ALL vertical (Arch, Mech, Elec, Map 3D, Plant, etc) add-on's for the current subscription price.
AutoCAD has changed over the years. Yes it still does all the 2d things that it does SO well but it has added in mesh modeling, refined it's surface modeling and the continuous refinements to the basic command sets. imho
DraftSight has stopped their free version btw ;)

Edit: I don't that there is any sort of "sekret squirrel" conspiracy other than AutoDESK being a normal corporation looking after it's own interests (yay capitalism!). No one is being forced to do anything. If you don't like what they are doing you are free to move on to "OtherCAD" any time they choose. ;)

autodesk.png

AutoCAD is kind of like Blockbuster stores - It's only a matter of time before people move on. Other AutoCAD alternatives are still there for those who want or need 2D drafting. I am okay with AutoCAD being packaged with suites so that it "lives" in some form but again, it's only a matter of time. 

-TZ

Yes, I think a complete re-write is needed and I hope that it is down the road. I hope that they have already started, if not it might be too late.

• Like 1

We'll see. There are still so many things dependent upon AutoCAD though. A for instance is the former TSI MAP Software CADmep program, now known as Autodesk Fabrication. These are the tools we are now using in Revit for our sub-contractors. So, how do you edit your FabPart database in Revit? AutoCAD. And I'm okay with that because why rewrite something as robust as FabParts? If a marriage of software works out great, then fine by me. Since Revit introduced FabParts in Revit, and finally solidified it in Revit 2018.2, we have been in hog heaven in my office. Our quality and accuracy has surged to new heights because of it. Unfortunately there are still a ton of issues and pitfalls but it sure is paying the bills and our customers are happy. 

So I don't know, maybe AutoCAD has crept in enough crevices to continue being relevant for a while. I'm still waiting on a Revit killer for the MEP world. I want a platform that has the MEP designer in mind, not the architect. And I don't want an "add-on" scenario, I want a platform that has it all, ground up, all for MEP users. And I think maybe this is coming. CAD software became industry specific, and now I'd like to see it go further and become discipline specific. 

-TZ

• Like 1