Opinion: Xref un/reload or turn off xref layer?

neondeon298

I have a pdf underlayed into a drawing as a reference to design from but my computer performance is becoming an issue. I can turn the pdf off when I know what I am drawing then turn it back on when I need the reference so.... is it best to unload then reload the PDf or would simply turning its specific layer off (its quicker) be sufficient?

Thanks!

I don't think there's really a "best" way to do anything in Autocad. It's more about what works best for you.

When I have to use pdf's in my drawings, I will load them and then freeze the layer until I need to print. Or you could unload them, if that's your preference, but either option will free up system resources.

Note: There is a difference between freezing layers and turning them off. When you freeze a layer, Autocad releases it from memory which gives you greater system performance. When you turn a layer off, it's simply not visible. Everything on the layer is still loaded into memory and Autocad is still keeping track of it, so it's basically still part of the drawing and sucking up system resources. If you want greater performance, freeze the layer.

If possible convert to vector and make it a block.

It may work better as another type of file, like .png or .jpg.

I use freeze as well, though I see no reason that unload and reload wouldn't be just as good.