Fatal Error

matt bridle

For some reason when working on a drawing my CAD program often shows a 'Fatal Error' and then proceeds to close down without saving any current changes. Is there a reason for this and can I do something about it?

When did the problem first occur?

Were there any recent changes to the hardware or was new software added?

What OS are you running? Have you kept current with all updates?

Have all service packs been installed for AC 2002?

Other than the "Fatal Error" message did you get any other message? If so, what was the exact wording?

Is this a random occurence or is it repeatable?

What were you doing or attempting to do when the fatal error occurred?

It appears as though we may need some additional information. Please answer all the questions with as much detail as possible.

1) The problem has been happening for a couple of months but it seems to be more regular now.

2) No recent changes that I know of.

3) XP

4) I am not about service packs I have had on my computer to 12 months now.

5) Yes there is other wording, it mentions a handling error and/ or not enough memory. I will have to wait until it happens again to get teh exact wording.

6) It is a random occurance, sometimes the fatal error message comes up before I have even opened a drawing.

7) The fatal error message happens anytime.

Regards

Matt

Find download and install and critical updates to XP (which version are you using - Pro?). Do this first and do it NOW!

Find, download and install the latest service pack for 2002. If there was more than one SP each successive one is cummulative therefore you do NOT need to load each; just the last one issued.

Check for any Hot Fixes that may have been issued. Who knows, maybe there is one that specifically addresses your problem.

Write down the full wording of any and all error messages that you are getting and post them.

How much physical memory (RAM) is installed in this computer?

Do you have the specs on the graphics chip or graphics card that is installed?

I haven't tried any of the remedies yet, however I can confirm that the Laptop is only 10 months old and had 2048MB or 160GB when new and I still have 120GB free.

Regarding the wording there is one more common error message, as follows:

First message: Fatal Error: Out of Memory - Shutting Down.

Click OK button (no other option)

Second Message: Error Handler re-entered. Existing Now.

Another message which came up about 5 times in 5 minutes was as follows:

Fatal Error: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0xffffffff Exception at 36014afsh.

A third message which I have only seen a couple of time but is equally annoying is as follows:

Application Error

First Message: The Intsruction at "0x73dd11c7" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be read.

Second Message: Click OK to Terminate program (no other option).

I think the messages appear more frequent when flipping from different layouts.

Regards

Matt Bridle

"0xffffffff is a critical Windows error and is caused by a corrupt registry entry that should be repaired immediately to prevent further corruption in other applications and/or hardware. Risks include hardware failure, blue screen errors and fatal crashes."

Requires repair of the Registry. I still use RegCleaner which is an unoffical, non-supported utility created by programmers at Microsoft.

OK Matt I think my work is done here at the moment. I've given you a number of leads to follow up on. The rest is up to you.

Remember: Seek and ye shall find.

I have installed an updated service pack for XP which I didn't realise I needed to do and I have cleaned and defraged the computer, I have also looked at installing an update for CAD 2002 but it asked me to insert the update disk which I don't have so I am not sure where to look for a CAD update. So far so good this morning!!!!!

When it asks for a disk usually it wants the original install CD. Are you sure you are reading that correctly? An update disk? Most updates are downloaded although AutoDesk may offer them on a disk if specifically requested to (I think - just not 100% sure).

I would suggest downloading and running the RegClean utility from Microsoft. I think you may still have a Registry error. Stay away from any "freebie" Registry cleaners unless you've taken the time to obtain recommendations by PCWorld or another very good computer magazine called Smart Computing. Both magazines have an online equivalent. They are reliable sources for troubleshooting computer related problems.