bhatch error message

ezra

This error message is followed by the bhatch command, and then pick points, in an effort to draw hatch marks within the drawing.  The

drawing has been converted to a Polyline to insure that it be one entity.  Can someone here make sense of the problem for me?

Error.jpg

Have you tried to use the object itself to define the boundary? Is the entire object on screen when you try to hatch it? When you select your pick point, are you sure it is inside the object?

It appears the polylines are not connected.

Also, your web in the middle is not centered.  Just thought I'd point that out - didn't know if that was intentional.

My common method for beams is to draw one quadrant, mirror that over.  Once half the object is created you then mirror again to finish the object while maintaining it's symmetry (if that is your intent).

You would then either use the join command to close up everything into one polyline (again, the nodes must connect all the way around) OR you can use pedit command and close the objects in a more step-by-step process.

Hatching by selecting a point works sometimes but the foolproof method is to close the lines up first.

That way you know there are no gaps.

From there you can hatch by any method you want.

ChriS

Thank you all for your responses.  It looks like I am going to have to be more diligent in making "pure" drawings.

Ezra

Well just in terms of hatching, autocad wants the nodes to be closed so the program can determine the boundary.

If the polyline isn't closed, usually as long as the nodes are connected you can still hatch by picking a point.

However, hatching by object selection requires a closed polyline.

But closing the polyline and making it one "thing" is a foolproof way to do it.

It also makes it easier to move around in your drawing, etc.

ChriS

I just opened your drawing and as mentioned by ammobake, your object is not closed. You have 4 pretty severe openings where your arcs are not connected to your lines. Also, you said in your first post that this had been converted to a polyline to insure that it's a complete entity but there are no polylines in this drawing. It's all individual lines and arcs. You can still hatch an object made up of lines and arcs by selecting an internal point, but the boundary edge must be closed. Make sure when you're drawing that you are using your Osnaps and snapping to endpoints.