How tough is it to learn Rhino?

Lando0529

Hi all, I am an architecture student and I was wanting to know is it worth the time to learn Rhino for some of my school projects. I am well versed in Revit, Fusion 360, some Inventor and some Autocad. I find that I pick up new programs pretty easily but was wondering if any of the tools used in Rhino compare to those in other Autodesk software? Any info is appreciated! 

Thanks!

I used to play around with Rhino a bit and I found it very similar to AutoCAD. Have you downloaded the trial yet? If not do that and give it a go. To me I didn't see Rhino as a direct competitor to AutoCAD but more as a general nurbs 3D programs.

I messed around with rhino back like 2006/2007.  It's actually pretty cool for creating 3d visualizations.

For our small design team working in R&D it was more like a supplement to AutoCAD and Solidworks.  We mainly used Solidworks though for our 3D modeling and conceptual plans for our prototypes.

Solidworks was perfect for us though especially building prototypes where parts would change all the time to fix some unexpected problem.

We always had 1 assembly we would work on to represent the finished product.

The only time we really used Rhino was for 3D visualizations and we would use those visualizations to get prints made on foam board for certain DOD conferences or events the company would attend.  You can also use that same process but cut out those foam board components and construct a scale model that way. 

We did that a couple times too.  Works pretty good.

I think once I used Rhino to design a breakdown plan to show how one of these prototypes could be broken down to fit on a C-130 pallet.

I had to make sure the total breakdown height was within certain tolerances and not over a certain height - so that it could fit into the aircraft while maintaining a certain clearance.

ChriS

I think the main thing I would use Rhino for is designing models I can laser cut, CNC, or 3d print. I'm mainly interested in the design/modeling capabilities Rhino presents verses those in Revit or Autocad. I likely won't be using Rhino for construction drawings/details. Thanks for all of your replies!