Set default to Metric & draw rectangle

foxint

Hi

I am a beginner…I live in the Aussie bush and trying to learn AutoCAD. 2020 Thank you for reading

I have been watching Videos and thought I would try and get the basics down first.

I have 2 really easy things for the experience people, that I am having troubles with:

1.         Trying to set the default measurements to metric – I work solely in metric.

2.         Trying to draw a rectangle. The instructions say Click to set point 1, move the mouse and clik to set the next point. On the second click my rectangle disappears.

I am very confused.

Thank you

D

When you first start up AutoCAD try choosing a metric template to start with, click on the templates dropdown and choose the acadiso.dwt file this is the metric template.

For your second problem a screenshot would help. Start the rectangle command and pick your first corner and when AtoCAD asks you for the second corner that would be a good place to take the screenshot so we can see how your screen looks before you pick a second point.

hi Steven-g

Thank you. I would have replied earlier, but I was testing and watching a few videos. I think it is OK. But it is a steep learning curve. I will use the programme for side issues as this is not my main work. So for hobbies and some very rough work on my watches.

I was hoping that I could get to the stage that I can modify rather than create. Leaving the hard part to the clever guys like you.

I did manage to import a step file, then take a front cut. but tying to modify it, take bits out ...the programme treats it like one whole and if I try and delete a small portion, it deletes the whole lot...not sure how to pitch this as a question.

Thanks again. You have been great. I wish we all were metric...ha-ha.

D

Just post a dwg file. It's always easier if someone knows all the correct technical terms, but I've worked with an architect before who did any design changes on a beer mat. So a screen shot with a few lines added using windows paint (even a beer mat with scribbles and scanned in with a phone) with a halfway comprehensive description would no doubt get the creative juices of people here running, and we will try and jump in and help. Something visual always helps.

Are you using the full version of Autocad ? LT or one of the many other products. And I totally agree metric is so much easier, thats why we have 10 fingers and not 12.

hi Steven-g

Thank you for your kind offer. I am a small town accountant and watchmaker, so CAD does not come easy to me. I have the full programme 2020.

I was lucky enough to get the full step file from the Chinese Speaker Maker called Tang Band. What I did was convert it to dwg and the LHS is the full 3D and the middle and RHS are a rear cut showing what I was hoping would be the cut-out in the baffle board (front of speaker - with speaker fitting inside the box - I only need the cut-out for the front, but it is a little more complex than a circle and there is not much meat, if I put in a threaded insert....). I am hopeless at wood work and my tiny workshop is only suitable for watches - so this speaker is HUGE for me. The plan is to send a dxf or dwg file to a shop in Sydney (about 400km from here) and they can cut it for me.

I need 1) the complete outside with screw holes and nothing in the middle - for a front facia piece and 2) the cut-out for the speaker that is essentially the first line moving inwards from the external. When I try and delete the parts the whole disappears.

If you can help, or suggest a video on how, that would be great. I am hoping to one day (before I die - I am 60.. sh&^ I hate it when I say that...). So perhaps I am the typical Old Dog and this is a new trick....I like making things, but know my limitations.

Thanks

D

TangBand-W5-2053 - Copy-Screen.JPG

TangBand-W5-2053.dwg

I am in AUS there are a lot of us out there don't be afraid to ask. As Steven said posting a dwg is generally best and ask questions.

Hint 1 If your drawing in sizes like 10mm increments you can use SNAP to set that increment and the rectang will auto jump 10 mm steps. But remember to turn off at times when not wanted.

Hint 2 Config, Files, Template settings, Chooseyourtemplate, basically make a dwg file that is set up the way you want, you save it as DWT not dwg then when you start it will be set up correctly. If you do NEW it will default to that predefined dwt, then save as a dwg.

Hint 3 draw at least a rectang in Layout 1 that is the size of the sheet of paper you want to print on but be about 5mm smaller all round, this is the start of your title block and will make printing so much easier. eg A3 420-10, 297-10 printing hints 10,11 & 12

There is 101 hints I posted a couple, be prepared for some really helpful ones to follow.

Hi BigAl

Thanks mate. Living in the bush can get a little out of touch with professionals. I work alone and only have the dogs to keep me company. I do not know anyone out here who as AutoCAD, so I am winging it alone. Dogs are good – 2 miniature poodles, no shedding, no smell and no allergic reaction…so all good.

Thank you for the hints.

I think/know you confused me with the “save it as DWT” not dwg. I thought that AutoCAD used dwg as its file default??? Well that begs the question who uses step and why did I have to convert the step file into dwg??

D

Are you looking at 3d printing it ? I just bought one from amazon it may be cheaper if doing more to buy than pay someone. Google Amazon, Ender 3 it took 2 days to turn up.

EXTMAX = 83.0392,86.9198,87.3264 (read only)   EXTMIN  EXTMIN = -83.0392,-86.9198,-4.5609 (read only)

So its about 150 sq by 92 high

image.thumb.png.4885094ffa59198452e32b698958d32f.png

Edited by BIGAL

Hi Mate –

I have the physical drivers and passive radiators - http://www.tb-speaker.com/products/w5-2053 - and planning to make (like) the Pluto omnidirectional - https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/intro.htm speakers.

No 3D printing, (thanks for the offer) but just using a PVC pipe and the speakers. I may end up instead of the straight pipe, curve it so the ends are 180 degrees and flush with a baffle board. But that will depend on how it sounds. But may just use the Pluto and dispense with the passive radiator.

I need a way to screw the speakers (and passive radiator that is the same size with no electronics) on to the box/pipe.

Initially thought would be the pipe would be about 400mm long and 100mm diameter = 12.56 litres. I just happen to have some 100mm PVC pipe. But the manufacturer TB suggests a 3lire enclosure, but that makes my pipe about 100mm long…so that will not work.

But the pipe is a good idea and I may have to use 50mm so - 3litre is 400mm long.

That’s my plan…..