Right-clicking and install as admin - do you actually do this?

f700es

OK, once again, I am bringing a discussion from another forum here to get some unfiltered feed back. Yes, this is from the SketchUp forum, again, so almost any time someone posts an issues with SU not working well a select few will ALWAYS respond that the user should right-click and install with admin rights. I mention once that I've NEVER had to do this with ANY software since moving to Windows 7. I mean ANY software Windows 7 Home/Pro to Windows 10 Home/Pro. I have no issues with SU, Acad, Revit, Max, Form-Z, Simlab, Unity, Blender, etc...and have NEVER installed this way. One user said that I was just "lucky". Perhaps so but I thought I'd ask here. Anyone else....just lucky? ;) 

Yeah, I've never done a right click install either, and I have installed tons of programs over the years, on many different computers, on many different OS's. Just lucky I guess. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have 2 in particular that you were forced to  have full admin rights to complete the install.  Both were bugs and were fixed eventually.  That has been a long time ago ( XP / VISTA  )

Both were specific to my industry.   But what a pain it was !

1200 computers on the network so in some cases because of security have to get IT install and worse some software writes temporary files to directories that IT lock. They have to add to a permission install list. 

Autocad and a couple of others were impacted, some just install.

• 5 weeks later...

There are some issues on Win 10 business license i believe.  Even if your account has full admin if you are installing or working on the root drive a lot of times you will be required to "admin" it up.  I don't specifically know when or what but this is the case with many software and even to the point where ones like Solidworks won't let you touch certain things in certain folders on certain installs even if you have admin.

I had to do this a lot on Win 7, not as much on Win10 but yes still do.  I don't think "luck" has anything to do with it.  I do believe it has to do with what version of Windows you are running and the location of the file on that system.  For example the "Program Data" folder is really touchy about that.

Thanks for the input all. I have just got my new desktop at work and I am going to install ALL my software as I normally do, with no right-click install as admin and see what happens. I'll report back if I have any issues.
Specs:

Dell Precision 3630
Intel i7-8700

32 gb ram

8 gb RTX 2080

512 gb m.2 nvme

1 tb sata hdd