Template information

Gregmw

Hi

probably a dumb question - but I have just started using autocad 

I understand about templates - but as one of my first drawings /exercises ,is it better to create my own templates with title blocks etc or just use the generic ones that come with the software - ?

Thank you in advance 

Greg 

What line of work are you in?  I'd suggest creating your own template file with all the settings, linetypes, text, dimension, multileader styles, etc. that will support what you do.  Yes, it will take some time and effort.  However, the investment, over time, will pay off.

• Thanks 1

Unless you are already working with AutoCad or taking classes, go with a generic one and modify it to suit your current needs  AutoCad is hard enough without that extra load.  Besides, you need to know how to make lines, rectangles, text, Mtext, ... etc. before you can make a template.  Templates are not that hard.  You just need to know what size paper you are using, and how to make the text and lines you need.

An employer, or a class structure will either show you their proprietary template, or teach you how to make one.

Edited by Dana W
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ReMark said:

What line of work are you in?  I'd suggest creating your own template file with all the settings, linetypes, text, dimension, multileader styles, etc. that will support what you do.  Yes, it will take some time and effort.  However, the investment, over time, will pay off.

Thank you

Iam in a construction kind of industry - but generally use autocad for my own benefits 

i kind of got got a bit confused when starting a drawing 

Then it is down to personal preference, but if you learn now how to setup a template then it gives you a good starting point. Then as you learn more and find your own style and prefered way of working then you can alter your template to your needs, or have multiple templates, I'd even go a step further and learn about workspaces, again you can adapt your workspace and make it your own or have several. Yes it's complicated, but well worth the effort.

So my advise would be go for it, and if you get stuck or confused then ask us here. Remember there is always a yes or no answer. One person will say yes and another will say no, Thats the beauty of AutoCAD there are so many ways of doing the same thing you just have to find your way.