Drawing not displayed fully in zoom extent.

richard.splashm@gmail.com

All the drawing I have display the same issue. When I open them and zoom to extents, only about 2/3 of the drawing is displayed. Its like the display is the wrong size. I can pan to see the rest of the drawing and select all will select everything. The same applies if I statrt a new drawing before drawing anything

What have I done wrong?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richard.splashm@gmail.com

• f700es

• tombu

• eldon

How are you zooming extents? and if you read the values of the variables extmin and extmax and draw a rectangle using those values, what does it look like.

Is it possible that you have a toolbox open on one side? If it's not docked, it will obscure part of the drawing area. Can you move any of your toolbars? Are there gaps between any toolbar and the window border?

14 hours ago, f700es said:

Check your 'limits' setting. 

I have done this but it has no effect.

image.thumb.png.9a610c2ab8c558f6f7792ba445b50528.png

This is the drawing with Zoom Extents used, it occupies the top portion of the screen but the lower third is blank. If I pan, the rest of the drawing becomes visible.

14 hours ago, f700es said:

Check your 'limits' setting. 

I have done so with no effect. Please see example of drawing I have posted, any other ideas?

Many Thanks

5 hours ago, eldon said:

Are you sure you are in model space?

Yes definately, though the same behaviour occurs in paper space also.

4 hours ago, steven-g said:

How are you zooming extents? and if you read the values of the variables extmin and extmax and draw a rectangle using those values, what does it look like.

All I am doing is selecting zoom from the right click menu, then zoom extents for the second menu.

How would I see this variable? Please be kind I am a novice.

1 hour ago, tombu said:

Are there blocks involved?  Has the view been twisted?  Is REGENAUTO on?  Do the same drawings behave the same on another PC?

This does not involve blocks. If I start a new drawing selecting the template, the same behaviour occurs, only the top 2/3 of the screen are populated.

23 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

Is it possible that you have a toolbox open on one side? If it's not docked, it will obscure part of the drawing area. Can you move any of your toolbars? Are there gaps between any toolbar and the window border?

No. This happens as soon as I start a new drawingwith nothing added to the page at this stage.

Hmmmm, it's something on your end. I opened the drawing and double-click my scroll wheel (to zoom extends) and it does just that.
The mystery deepens it seems.....

6 minutes ago, richard.splashm@gmail.com said:

I would be happy to.

It was already zoomed to extents when I opened it. Text at top and bottom were to the edge of the screen.

Does this version work OK for you. It might not fix the issue, but the content in your drawing is an awful long way from the 0,0 origin and that can cause issues with ACAD, if this drawing zooms OK then that is your problem (otherwise it's something else). You may well need the objects placed as they are for georeferencing or something similar, but be aware it can cause problems.

Fishfarm(1).dwg

By the way just typing extmin followed by enter will show you the value, same again for extmax. There is no problem shows up there it does report them correctly.

Edited by steven-g

From AutoCAD help:

EXTMAX (System Variable)

Stores the upper-right point of the drawing extents.

(Read-only)

Type:3D-point

Saved in:Drawing

Initial value:Varies

Expands outward as new objects are drawn; shrinks only with ZOOM All or ZOOM Extents. Reported in world coordinates for the current space.

EXTMIN (System Variable) works the same, they're not modified when objects are removed from the drawing or their layer is frozen.

Limits should only affect Zoom All, not Zoom Extents: http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-66E7DB72-B2A7-4166-9970-9E19CC06F739

Edited by tombu