ABAKAM BASSEY ABAKAM XREF AND HOW TO BIND XREF DRAWINGS

ABAKAM BASSEY ABAKAM

I have two drawings, when I remove one from the folder containing two of them, on opening one of it, i can't see the other part which is not in this very drawing I've opened. How do I bind it so i can go with one drawing file and not two at once?

What you're describing may be a nested reference. Suppose you have three drawings, DwgA, DwgB, and DwgC. DwgC is xrefed into DwgB, and DwgB is xrefed into DwgA. You expect to see DwgC if you open DwgA, but that depends on how you xrefed DwgC into DwgB. If it's an attachment, you do see DwgC, but if it's an overlay, you don't. The main reason for this is to cut down on unnecessary clutter.

If I've misunderstood your issue, or if that doesn't solve your issue, please provide more information. The more you can tell us, the better we can help you.

Why are you removing one of the files from the folder? If you do that, Autocad doesn't know where the xref is anymore. You can bind the xref into your drawing, but first you will need to either put the file back in the folder so Autocad can find it or repath the xref to its new location, wherever you moved the file. 

The link below explains how to bind xrefs, but I would recommend leaving everything as is and just put the file back in the folder or repath the xref to its new location.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-5BF89799-D496-4AAD-8773-9D4BF9B9E8CD-htm.html

Good morning all,

I have challenge on the followings,

1. How to convert a drawing to xref

2. How to bind xref drawings.

Attached to this write up are 2 different drawings, one is a title block (NGS SHOP DWG TITLE SHEET) that is used in the other drawing (DRAWING 1). If I remove the title block from the folder containing the two drawing files, on the 'Drawing 1' file, I will not see the title block in the drawing 1 layout.

How do I incorporate the two files such that I can copy just 'drawing 1' and paste anywhere and I will still see the title block.

See next write up attachment for the title block attachment.

That is my challenge.

Thank you.

DRAWING_1.dwg

I have merged all of your posts into this thread. Please don't start new threads regarding this topic. Simply post your questions here. Also, take a look at the replies that have already been posted above. Then, if you still have questions, post them here.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:06 AM, ABAKAM BASSEY ABAKAM said:

I have challenge on the followings,

1. How to convert a drawing to xref

2. How to bind xref drawings.

Attached to this write up are 2 different drawings, one is a title block (NGS SHOP DWG TITLE SHEET) that is used in the other drawing (DRAWING 1). If I remove the title block from the folder containing the two drawing files, on the 'Drawing 1' file, I will not see the title block in the drawing 1 layout.

How do I incorporate the two files such that I can copy just 'drawing 1' and paste anywhere and I will still see the title block.

1. You do not "convert" a drawing to make it an xref. An external reference can be any of several types of files, and an AutoCAD .DWG is one of them. Once you specify that your xref is a drawing, the reference (not the drawing itself) becomes part of your drawing.

2. As just noted, an xref only tells AutoCAD where to find another file. In effect, you have two files open, with one overlaid on the other. When you bind the xref, a copy of it becomes part of your drawing. It's important to remember that, after the bind, you have two distinct versions of that drawing. Any changes to the original will not be reflected in the copy. If your work depends on having a current copy of the xref, do not bind it.

It would help to know why you have to move your title block, as opposed to copy. Typically my title blocks include project information, so there is one for each project folder. There is also a template that I can bind to my project drawing, which saves some time. If you have a standard title block, put it somewhere that is accessible to all your projects, so all of the project drawings can use the same title block.