Revision History Conventions

lamensterms

Hey guys,

Just interested to hear some opinions on conventional methods to manage revision history on drawings...  I'd mainly like to hear about whether or not you guys delete your approval revision history, when revving drawings up to IFC.

I am a shop detailer and was taught the method to delete all IFA revision history when going to IFC.  So the first IFC revision is the only one shown in the title block at the time - and is a fresh revision.

I understand that it could go either way - but lately I have been seeing a lot more construction issue drawings that still have the approval issue revision history in the title block.

Is one method better than the other?  What do you prefer and why?

Looking forward to hearing back

I moved your thread to the CAD Management Forum

We have always done just as you, every place I have worked. That includes having to comply with the clients procedures as well. IIRC, we used Alphabet for one and Numbers for the other, which was which varied according to the client.

• 4 weeks later...

We had PA Pb etc prelim 

Tender doc A B  some things were found during tender hence issued is different

Rev O 1 2 issued,

Former revisions not shown but dwg kept.

Edited by BIGAL

• 1 year later...

The concept of maintaining a revision history is really only relevant to a very specific context of the drawing set...  So in a set of design drawings for a large project, maintaining a revision history becomes much more important - especially, prior to and during construction.  BUT, personally, i delete all revision histories for the asbuilt set -  because they are not relevant.  Every sheet is there to represent asbuilt conditions which I have to verify, myself, anyway. 

The asbuilt set is a standalone drawing set that may or may not look anything like the design.

Some might not agree with that.  Corps of engineers, for example, makes u keep all revision notes from the design set and post them in the asbuilts for future reverence - which doesn't make any sense.  But, hey, what do I know?

The corps of engineers has many other standards that I think are meant to do 1 thing and fail miserably...  Like they want all your revision clouds and callouts to be color coded per their system.  But then they require you to use their CTB file which makes everything black anyway.

It doesn't make any sense.....

I think my point in all this is that revision notes are only relevant prior to the creation of the asbuilts and only during the planning or construction phases.  And after construction everyone will forget those revision notes ever existed (and all will be right with the world).

Edited by ammobake