Drafting in decimal feet / inches units

gdgdad

I have been laying out a property plot and the measurement tape is in decimal feet / inches. So… when I measure 10.25’ (10’ 3”) I want to enter as such in Autocad 2018 and when I dimension that line I want dimension to read the same way, i.e. 10.25’.  I’ve tried every variation of units setting and dimstyle I know of, but cannot get Autocad to take my measurements in decimal feet entries, let alone display a 10’3” length as 10.25’. I've followed all the suggestions/instructions on this forum and more (via google) with no luck. Is this just not possible?

As Land Surveying and Civil work in the US is done in feet that's always been my base unit.  For dimensioning structures in feet' - inches" I have an Architectural dimension style with the [Primary Units] Measurement scale Scale factor: set to 12 which would display as (10’-3”).  All other dimension styles are set with the [Primary Units] Measurement scale Scale factor: set to 1 with the foot mark as a Suffix to display to decimal feet (10.25').  The child annotation style for Angular units has the foot mark Suffix removed.

Edited by tombu
Added info

49 minutes ago, f700es said:

What about just using 10.25 and no ' or " mark?

OK – this is VERY confusing and probably something incredibly stupid on my part. I got the Decimal feet to work, i.e. entering 10.25 and getting a 10’ 3” line. And annotating shows up as well @ 10.25’ which is what I wanted. In the drawing that’s working as I desired, the settings are:

Via Drawing utilities,  Type is: Decimal, Insertion scale: Feet

Then via DIMSTYLE, Unit format: Decimal, Precision 0.00, Decimal separator “.” , Scale Factor 1/12

However, I started a new drawing to verify my settings work, and though I replicate every drawing utility setting and dimstyle setting, when I type in a line length of 10.25 – I get a 10 and ¼ inch line. I have to be missing something obvious.  Thank you for all your help

37 minutes ago, tombu said:

As Land Surveying and Civil work in the US is done in feet that's always been my base unit.  For dimensioning structures in feet' - inches" I have an Architectural dimension style with the [Primary Units] Measurement scale Scale factor: set to 12.  All other dimension styles are set with the [Primary Units] Measurement scale Scale factor: set to 1 to display to decimal feet.

OK – this is VERY confusing and probably something incredibly stupid on my part. I got the Decimal feet to work, i.e. entering 10.25 and getting a 10’ 3” line. And annotating shows up as well @ 10.25’ which is what I wanted. In the drawing that’s working as I desired, the settings are:

Then via DIMSTYLE, Unit format: Decimal, Precision 0.00, Decimal separator “.” , Scale Factor 1/12

However, I started a new drawing to verify my settings work, and though I replicate every drawing utility setting and dimstyle setting, when I type in a line length of 10.25 – I get a 10 and ¼ inch line. I have to be missing something obvious.  Thank you for all your help

1 hour ago, gdgdad said:

It's because you set Scale Factor to 1/12 instead of 1.  Take another look at my post. I've attached Anno 0.1 Dimensions.dwg with the two Annotative styles I use for almost everything

Anno 0.1 Dimensions.dwg

Edited by tombu
Attached Anno 0.1 Dimensions.dwg

Drawing UNITS live in the individual drawing.  Set up a template (*.dwt) drawing file and use it to start a new drawing from.  Otherwise you will have to change all the units parameters for every new drawing.

DEFAULT drawing templates = acad.dwt is imperial.  acadiso.dwt is metric (millimeters)  I named my surveyors template FEET.dwt, lol.

And look into the command -DWGUNITS.  Note the leading hyphen.  It will convert the units for any dwg to any other unit.  It can also re-scale your modelspace objects to fit any measurement unit all at once.

This saves people who start a drawing in imperial (U.S.A.) units and discover only when trying to scale a viewport or set up a dimstyle, that the drawing is actually in millimeters.   This can happen if  -DWGUNITS and UNITS don't match up.

The UNITS command (Drawing utilities) DOES NOT change the drawing units, only the Display Units, as in MEASURE > DISTANCE.

The unit in the dimstyles simply renames whatever units the drawing units are.

Edited by Dana W
more info needed

Tombu, thanks so much. I can get Decimal feet to work both in how I enter dimensions and how they're annotated. However, it seems odd that within that same drawing (see attached revision of yours) I can have a line that is annotated as 1.02' that's clearly longer than a line annotated 10.25'.  Per Dana's suggestion I've saved both your drawing and the first one I got to work as templates. I know I'm missing something basic but though I've been using AutoCad for more than 10 years, I can count on one hand the number of property / land drawings I've done. Thanks again

Anno 0.1 Dimensions revised.dwg

1 hour ago, gdgdad said:

Tombu, thanks so much. I can get Decimal feet to work both in how I enter dimensions and how they're annotated. However, it seems odd that within that same drawing (see attached revision of yours) I can have a line that is annotated as 1.02' that's clearly longer than a line annotated 10.25'.  Per Dana's suggestion I've saved both your drawing and the first one I got to work as templates. I know I'm missing something basic but though I've been using AutoCad for more than 10 years, I can count on one hand the number of property / land drawings I've done. Thanks again.

Only after you set Scale Factor to 1/12 instead of 1.  Why did you even add a Linear Child dimension style? You couldn't get the wrong dimension in what I sent you.  As long as you keep making the same mistake you will keep getting the same results.  Setting the Annotation Scale to 1" = 30" produces the same text and arrow size as your other dimension style in case you're unfamiliar with Annotative dimensions.

Edited by tombu