Drawing File Will Not Recover

Bill Tillman

I have an rather extensive 3D model done in AutoCAD 2020 with lots of materials applied, etc... My computer crashed yesterday and when I restarted and reopened the file it reports there are errors and it must be recovered first. Trouble is recovering it will not work. It gives me the message that the errors cannot be fixed. Still I can open the file and work with it and then save it with a new name, but these 13 errors in the database do not get corrected. Like I said, I can work with the file. It renders just fine, but each time I open the file it reports errors. Is there anyway to remedy this situation?

Okay so I purged and did an Audit on the file, after I saved it with a new name, just in case. It reported that it found only three errors and fixed 2 of them. That seems to have resolved the errors.

Another thing you can try is WBLOCK your entire drawing out to a new file. That might eliminate the other error and clean your file of any junk that might be cluttering up the database.

When I work in 3D, I like to SaveAs and save incrementally, so I have backup copies in case of a situation like this. That way, if there is a crash and the file won't open, I can go back to a previous saved copy and not lose everything.

Better than WBLOCK in many cases, I have found AECTOACAD to clean up many old drawings better.

When doing 3D I keep making new drawings as well, if all goes well I clean out the unneeded drawings.

Thanks for all the great tips all. I think I've got the file working again and I will try some other steps to avoid this old machine crashing. A new workstation purchase in on the horizon as soon as the cash flow meets the expenditure line item.