Step File Really Whacks Up When Rendered

Bill Tillman

I downloaded a STP file from Yamaha's website and then used AutoCAD 2020 to import it into a 3D layout. Th stp file is a 3D image of an outboard engine for a boat. When it first came in I had to reorient and rescale it and all seemed well. When I tried to render the scene everything was fine but the engine was rotated 90° and way too big for the scale of the image being rendered. I hate this stuff but the files are too big and contain proprietary items my client doesn't want out in the public domain. So all I can do is show the website where I got the stp file from. If anyone can give me some tips on what I'm doing wrong with this file.

Here is the link. It may want you to register to download the file.

UPDATE: I downloaded another file they had of the same model engine. It was an IGES file and it worked fine. Now to change the colors of it and let the render run again. But I'm curious why the STEP file did not work?

Edited by Bill Tillman

1 hour ago, Bill Tillman said:

But I'm curious why the STEP file did not work?

Yeah, I'm curious also. It seems strange that the engine is oriented correctly and scaled to fit your model but when you render it appears rotated and too big? I don't want to sign up on that site though, just to download the file, so I guess it will remain a mystery unless someone else has some idea?

The STEP file is 27 MB all on it's own. The IGES file is 15 MB, both are too big to upload here. I do have a drop box I could load the STEP file for you but I can't do that until this evening. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

BTW, this site doesn't really force you to register but it does ask you for a nickname and a password. Once you put one in it will let you download any of the files. It's not a true registration with email required, etc...but I don't blame you for not messing with it. The darn thing about vendors is they don't understand that the easier they make it for us to use their models, the easier it is for us to sell their engines.

Edited by Bill Tillman

Have you thought about the BIll Tillman outboard company, just make a primitive solid of the outboard, if you look at a old mercury they were tall but not a hard shape to rough up the leg would need a tapered type of shape

The modern outboard is nice and rounded. Make jpg etc of  the 3 elevations and plan of the outboard bring into cad  and extrude shapes to match then fillet the roughness out of them. It does not matter if the exhaust is not hollow. The prop can be on  a flat pitch you will not see the true curve in the pitch. Had a few boats. 

Treat the engine like a big block of Styrofoam and just carve it up.

17 hours ago, Bill Tillman said:

The STEP file is 27 MB all on it's own. The IGES file is 15 MB, both are too big to upload here. I do have a drop box I could load the STEP file for you but I can't do that until this evening. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

BTW, this site doesn't really force you to register but it does ask you for a nickname and a password. Once you put one in it will let you download any of the files. It's not a true registration with email required, etc...but I don't blame you for not messing with it. The darn thing about vendors is they don't understand that the easier they make it for us to use their models, the easier it is for us to sell their engines.

I went to the site and logged in but I don't know which model you downloaded. I would like to see the exact model so if you could put it on dropbox or tell me which one to download so I can grab it off the site, I'll take a look.

I know you already found an IGES file that works, but like Bigal said, you could always make your own engine. I always like to create my own models if I have the time. That way there are no surprises or problems like you had with the .stp file. But I know how it is when you're working on projects for clients. You need to get it done fast, so building your own models isn't always possible.

The file I picked up was under the Search by Horsepower, 60~100, F90D(6HK) and I grabbed the ETL model at the top of the list. There are both formats, IGES and STEP from the 3D section. These are some pretty cool 3D models.

I downloaded a few of each STEP and IGES this morning, but I suddenly got swamped with some "gotta have now" projects. I'll try to give them a quick render when I get a moment.

What was the rendering problem you had? If you added images to the thread I can't see them at work.

2 hours ago, Bill Tillman said:

The file I picked up was under the Search by Horsepower, 60~100, F90D(6HK) and I grabbed the ETL model at the top of the list. There are both formats, IGES and STEP from the 3D section. 

Ok, I downloaded the step file of the engine and I scaled it, moved it and rotated it around and it renders at the correct size and orientation every time, so I'm not sure why you were having issues with it?