AutoCAD crashes when plotting on a different sheet size

gregmorris234

Hi All,

This has been driving me up the wall. 

What I have is a large conveyance plan that has a large A0 layout sheet that has the whole site on it, as well as having individual A4 sheets that have individual plots on them. Now when I plot the A0 sheet, everything is fine and the system doesn't crash, but when I go to plot the A4 sheet it crashes AutoCAD without so much as an error window. I've tried a million different variations including freezing off the layout, different page setups, different ctb's, different viewport scales etc and nothing seems to work. The only thing that seems to recreate the problem is if I have a different sheet size. It's as if 1:500 on an A0 layout is fine, but then 1:500 on an A4 is too much to compute. I thought it might be because I had >200 individual layout tabs in the first instance but I have done a 'Save As' on the file and deleted all but one of the sheets and I'm still getting the same problem.

I have attached a link to the file as it's an Etransmit and rather large - https://we.tl/t-37eLe3Ql1h

I really would appreciate anyone's help on this because it's stumped me for days now and it's rare to find an AutoCAD problem that couldn't be fixed.

Thank you in advance!

Ran Audit and it just stopped working that's a worry.

Yeah it crashed, run Audit or recover on your xrefs.

I used plot window and without xrefs it was ok. using Extents it crashed.

Need to look at every dwg 1 by 1 some of your text styles have characters like $ in them may be causing problems you had a font set to BIG font maybe change.

Edited by BIGAL

• 6 months later...

Hey Guys,

I have just had this same exact issue on a completely different drawing. It's another conveyance plan so is a rather large file but again it plots wonderfully on A0 but just crashes on A4. I have spent about 3 weeks of different options including rebuilding the drawing, auditing, recovering and purging every single one of the attached Xrefs. I've played with multiple plotting settings, changing the ctb, no ctb, no layer states, with layer states, deleted titleblock and different page setups. I've even tried a different machine with a different version of AutoCAD - same issue.

The only thing that seems to change whether AutoCAD crashes or not is the page size. A0 = fine. A4 = kaput. I can accept if the drawing is corrupted or whatever but I just don't understand how it can work on one sheet size but then not the other. Is there some sort of variable or AutoCAD setting that means that it struggles with the same data but as it's on a smaller sheet, it's harder to process? I feel like I'm really clutching with straws with this one but I'm not sure where else to go now!

Hope someone may be able to help!

What happens if you do like my last post remove xrefs plot add 1 xref at a time something is buggy somewhere. Do you have custom line types that are maybe dot patterns ? Just need to find what it is that is causing it. Does it plot to pdf ? Saves trees.