hatch error / boudary definition error!

smileforrest

When i hatch a drawing like the one below, it occurs "boudary definiton error". But the drawing is defined by a single 2d boundary poly line.

And I uploaded the drawing in the appendix.

I'll be very appriciated if someone can give some help!

image.thumb.png.571f473112d810298415cf72c6d11f35.png

error_hatch.dwg

It never ceases to amaze me how AutoCAD improves with each updated version!!

I downloaded the file, converted it to my version, and had no trouble with hatching. The Boundary command successfully created 1 polyline.

Just now, eldon said:

It never ceases to amaze me how AutoCAD improves with each updated version!!

I downloaded the file, converted it to my version, and had no trouble with hatching. The Boundary command successfully created 1 polyline.

Hmmmmm, I couldn't hatch or use the Boundary command in 2018 until I replaced that bad segment. Eldon, are you using 2002 and you can hatch with no problem?  :unsure:

I am running 2019 LT at work and I get this below whether I execute BOUNDARY or pick an internal point.   I have investigated the vertices circled and can't find anything wrong zoomed WAY way in.  Press the expand arrow on the error message.  PEDIT tells me it is closed, it won't offer CLOSE to do, only OPEN.

I see nothing about a bad segment.

I can hatch with no issues by selecting the object rather than picking a point.

Untitled.png

Yeah, I actually didn't try hatching, since the OP said it wasn't working. I just ran the Boundary command and got the error message. I just went back and tried hatching the object, without replacing any segments, and it works fine. So, I'm not sure why the Boundary command throws up an error and I'm not sure why the OP can't hatch? It's all very strange.

Edit: After further investigation, I don't think that segment I mentioned is actually bad. It doesn't make a difference if I replace it or not. The Boundary command still throws an error. But I can hatch the object with no problem, without replacing any segments.

Thanks a lot for all the advice.

In my work, frequently encountered with an area enclosed with many lines like polyline segements in the above drawing,  I need to hatch the area. But, the line may not connet exactly, so, the not closed boundary always occur.

Is there other improved method to do this work?

Thanks.

Use the Select Object option, that seems to work fine.

Interesting, this has various problems. Zoomed in, I was able to Hatch no problems, but seems just in a few spots this worked. I didn't get any red gap indicators on the original, but after exploding and using PEDIT>M>ALL then Join (0 Gap Tolerance), every time I tried, the gap indicators were in different places each time.

16 hours ago, SLW210 said:

Use the Select Object option, that seems to work fine.

Interesting, this has various problems. Zoomed in, I was able to Hatch no problems, but seems just in a few spots this worked. I didn't get any red gap indicators on the original, but after exploding and using PEDIT>M>ALL then Join (0 Gap Tolerance), every time I tried, the gap indicators were in different places each time.

“every time I tried, the gap indicators were in different places each time.”

I also encounter the same situation.

Thanks a lot.