Cross sectioning a threaded shaft BS8888

harry123

Hello all, 

I have a question regarding cross sectioning a shaft with a thread. 

I have been told during another course that BS8888 states that you should not section a shaft or thread.  

Am I required to cross section a shaft for a course I am studying but I am told to stick to bs8888. 

Any advice would be great as I am fairly new to technical drawing and CAD. 

Many thanks. 

15 hours ago, harry123 said:

I have been told during another course that BS8888 states that you should not section a shaft or thread.

I do not believe you are correct. To refresh my memory I looked into it quickly and found several BS8888 drawings with cross sections on shafts.

Do you know exactly where BS8888 states you should not section a shaft or thread?

From memory BS8888 states that it is "not necessary" to section a shaft (or other part) if it is obviously a section view.

So its more of 'dont-need-to' rather than a 'do-not'.

It goes back to the old days when we used to use pens and pencils rather that computers, drawing neatly spaced section lines by hand could take hours, and still can if you are drawing by hand - so having the option in the standard to leave them off just makes sense.

Edited by nukecad