Function Keys Toggle/Hold

sangiono

I have gotten a new version of ACAD Arch v2018.  All works fine but no luck with function keys to force them to behave as I'm used to. I always held the F3 key to turn osnap on. Now I can't make it to work. All I can do is toggle on and off by pressing and releasing the key. Trying to hold the key while in command only gives me continuous on and off state. If I remember there was a way to change this behaviour, yet don't remember how. 

I guess I'm not understanding the problem. F3 has always been a toggle. Hit it once to enable Osnaps. Hit it again to disable Osnaps. Are you saying you want the ability to press and hold it while in a command? That sounds like a very cumbersome way to work, since your left hand would be stuck on the F3 key while trying to execute commands. Is this how you have worked in previous versions?

Yes, I did, and I had an option to hold F3 while in command. This can be enabled, somehow I have forgotten where. When you draw a line and you want to snap to an end of another line you can hold F3 to temporarily activate osnap or vice versa, whatever your default state of osnap is.  It works with osnap, polar, ortho and some other function keys, not all of them if I'm correct. You can still toggle F3 while having temporary option available.

Hmmmmmm, I just tried holding down F3 and it actually worked in Autocad 2018. It takes a second to initialize, but it does work. I never realized I could do that, so I guess I learned something new today. :lol:

So now I'm wondering why it isn't working for you, because apparently this functionality is available by default. I didn't do anything to enable it. 

This may be a silly question but do you have your Osnaps set up? I mean, do you have Endpoint, Midpoint, etc. set up in the "Drafting Settings" dialog? I just disabled all my Osnaps and tried holding down F3 but it didn't do anything. So make sure you have some Osnaps set and then try holding down F3.

I have individual osnaps on in ds. There is something to be done before it can work, perhaps a variable, I don't remember. I tried googling around but no joy. When I hold F3 while in command all it does is filling command line with  <osnap on... osnap off>... string of text.

No, it was not the question. I have managed to make it to work however, somewhat accidentally. I  assigned F3 to snap toggle in cui/temporary override shortcuts (it was unassigned). F3 toggle must have been assigned  from somewhere else while F3 override, it seems needs to be assigned in cui (in case it is not.)  I can't read macro scripts so I won't go into it. Strangely enough, all available F keys now have temporary behaviour, even though I  haven't done anything else.

Edited by sangiono