Polar Tracking & Dynamic Input Settings

Bill Tillman

Okay quick, someone make the sound of a bong hit in the background. I think someone may have tampered with my computer even though it was locked when I went home last night and only I would know the password to login into it (Windows 10). When I used AutoCAD yesterday, I was able to use dynamic input, and polar tracking was on. This morning when I logged in the background of Windows had been changed. I know I did not change before I went home and it was on all night while I was away, plus I locked it before I left. Today, I don't have dynamic input and polar tracking is off. And when one of the searches I did said press the F12 key, nothing happens. If I press F10 I see the cursor show me that Polar On/Off is working but I still do not see anything like the length and angle of the line when I select it. This is a desktop computer so there is no FN key like on a laptop. All the other function keys are working, F2, F3, F4, etc... but F12 does nothing and when I max the command window it shows nothing.

I'm very confused. Please pass me the bong.

Edited by Bill Tillman

Thanks again BigAL, you always have the right answers. Okay, so here's the mystery. This is my personal computer which I brought to this new gig to do AutoCAD, estimating, sales, planning, the whole 9 yards. There are only 6 people in this office and my desk is in an awkward place. It's hard to think of someone getting to it let alone knowing the password to unlock it. The only thing I know is that the Windows 10 background was completely different than what I was using when I went home the night before. Not just one of the series of pics in the packaged themes, no this was a completely different them. Now back to the DYNMODE issue. When I checked the DYNMODE settings it was using -1. Changing it to either 2 or 3 resolved the issue but there is still no response to the F12 key. I'm wondering if the keyboard is busted. Okay and dog-gone I just checked the F12 with this computer too and AutoCAD ignores when I press the F12 key. Please hand me the bong again.

SWL210, thanks. That was insightful. A little testing and here is what I found. Draw a line. With DYNMODE set to 2 select it and park the cursor on one if the grips. The length of the line and it's angle will be shown. While still on the grip, press and hold the F12 key. Nothing changes, the length and angle are still there. Deselect the line and then reselect it. Hold and keep depressed the F12 key and then park the cursor on a grip and the length and angle do not appear.  Now I know.