Cant figure out how to make a coiled rattlesnake :'(

twistedsteel

I have tried over and over the past few weeks to make a coiled rattlesnake! I cant find anything online and believe me using anything remotely close produces error messages galore! .

Any help much appreciated! 

started with helix to sweep no then lines no at this point im thinking in going to have to model it physically and have in 3d scanned?!?!

Helix, then circle, 3D rotate the circle to perpendicular then sweep, this is what i get. says 3d shape but appears as lines???

For the overall design in a perfect world i want the coils to over lap a little bit so there is no space and doesn't look like a floating spring snake but shoots back self intersecting body 🙄

i attached something similar im trying to achieve

wrong coil 2.PNG

wrong coil.PNG

download.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if anybody is still watching this thread but here's how you can kinda sorta do it in an older version of autocad, or in my case Bricscad.

image.thumb.png.0e11a88372d5edade3b402ca553c3f96.png

Start out with three circles of varying diameters.  Trim them in half, and rotate one end up.  The angle will depend on the diameter of the snake and the coil. You'll just have to experiement to get it to look the way you want. Move the half circles endpoint to endpoint as shown. I color coded them so you could see which one is which.  Pop circles in at each end point as shown, and sweep them along the curves.  Depending on your cad system, you'll probably have to sweep them one at a time.  I left the head and tail up to you.

Twistedsteel: And why would you want to explode them?

Jack: You might want to tighten up your coil as there appears to be too much of a gap, yes?

Hey Remark!  How's it going?

Yes, I mentioned in the explanation that some experimentation would be necessary to get it to look right. I tilted the half circles on the right up 20°.  The biggest one is a 2" radius, steps down a half inch at a time and the body of the coil is a 1" diameter circle.   A bigger circle to sweep, a less steep angle, or both. would be required.  That was a first pass, and it illustrated the idea so I just left it there.  If I get time later today I'll see about giving it another shot, and add the head and tail this time.  Stuff like that is fun to mess around with.

Ok,  let me be the first to say "I ain't no artist".  Cad programs of the vintage I use don't do organic shapes very well either.   The tail on this looks like golf balls impaled on a stick and I gave up on the head.   But, here is all the time i'm going to devote to this...lol

image.thumb.png.b1ace07987973bc39b19f86502bc4822.png

13 hours ago, Jack_O'neill said:

Ok,  let me be the first to say "I ain't no artist".  Cad programs of the vintage I use don't do organic shapes very well either.   The tail on this looks like golf balls impaled on a stick and I gave up on the head.   But, here is all the time i'm going to devote to this...lol

I commend your efforts, but like I always say, Autocad is not the right tool for this type of work. A poly modeling or sculpting program would be a much better choice for creating organic models like this.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, Cad64 said:

I commend your efforts, but like I always say, Autocad is not the right tool for this type of work. A poly modeling or sculpting program would be a much better choice for creating organic models like this.

All true, but I will say, back around 2010 or 11, I could have done a reasonable rendition of what Twistedsteel was looking for.  I'm too rusty now.  Didn't draw a single thing in Autocad for about 6 years and since i got back into it, my work has been limited to bent tubing and the tooling to make it. Funny, I learned cad in the early 90's at a place that bent tubing, now I'm "resharpening my pencil" at another tubing company.  "Your next stop...the Twilight Zone!"

On 11/26/2019 at 9:36 AM, Jack_O'neill said:

Funny, I learned cad in the early 90's at a place that bent tubing, now I'm "resharpening my pencil" at another tubing company.  "Your next stop...the Twilight Zone!"

Sounds like you've come full circle. The apprentice is now the master.  ;)