Quick question regarding c:

brandalf_the_semiGray

I have been just starting to delve into the world of autoLISP, and have seen snippets of code that have, for example

defun c:

I was able to find out that this makes it so that the user is able to run the function from the command line. Now, the part where I get confused is when I see things like

defun rh:

What does this line do? I've seen variants in Lee Mac's code that have LM:

Is the ':' some sort of a namespace, or scope resolution operator? Can someone point me in the direction of where I can learn more about its use?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by brandalf_the_semiGray

[SEE COLON] simply means that the function name following can be used at the command line, like a core function (i.e.: Line, Circle, Pline). 

If you omit the prefix, or use your own like KW:Fun, then you have to include that part when you call the function name, along with enclosing it in parenthesis

(KW:Fun)

Some authors do this to their functions for identification purposes.

• Thanks 1

In addition to @rkmcswain excellent answer above, look at these two functions, and spot the differences

(defun function_name (passed vars / local_vars)
   expressions
)

(defun C:function_name ( / local_vars)
   expressions
)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dlanorh said:

In addition to @rkmcswain excellent answer above, look at these two functions, and spot the differences

expressions
)

expressions
)

Note that the "c:" prefix has no bearing on whether or not the function may accept arguments -

_$ (defun c:foo ( x ) (+ x 2))
C:FOO
_$ (c:foo 2)

The "c:" prefix is solely use to make a function available as a command which may be executed directly at the AutoCAD command line. Of course, evaluating a function which requires arguments as a command directly at the command line will result in a "too few arguments" error, but these two properties of a function are not related.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dlanorh said:

expressions
)

expressions
)

The differences that catch my eye are the c : prefix to allow command line invocation, as well as one of the functions having passed variables.

25 minutes ago, Lee Mac said:

You may wish to refer to my explanation here.

This was precisely what I was looking for. Thank you very much to all three of you.

Edited by brandalf_the_semiGray
  • Like 1

You can call c defuns or plain defuns in code I often add run code on a (load "mylisp") to run straight away 1st time.

(c:function_name) put this as last line of code

also (moblk) as last runs my move block code which is wrapped in a defun called moblk but no need for keyboard input use when really only want to run once.

(function_name 12 22) normal function call

check to see if lisp is loaded looks for the defun

(if (not AH:getvalsm)(load "Multi Getvals.lsp"))

(setq ans (AH:getvalsm (list "This is heading" "Line 1" 5 4 "11" "Line2" 8 7 "22" "Line3" 8 7 "33" "Line4" 8 7 "4")))

in a menu these are the same

^c^c(load "mover") mover

^c^c(load "mover")(c:mover)

Edited by BIGAL