Printing text to PDF - in vector format

sketch11

I have an issue in printing text to PDF in vector format. I use the font "RomanS" which I think is from AutoCAD.

The font comes up as .shx format under Text Styles.

1 Explain your pdf problem

2 .shx fonts are like 40 years old and were made by Autodesk to allow for different fonts in the old DOS days.

3 Look for a True type font that is close and use that instead.

• Like 1

Hi. The issue is that when I print to PDF the text can't be selected. If I replace with a common font such as Arial, the text can be selected.

With the RomanS font, I have a True Type version (.ttf) which has been manually added to Windows, but when it comes to selecting the font in AutoCAD, only the .shx version is available.

Edited by Izbi

Some true type fonts aren't actual TTFs, they are converted postscript fonts.  I don't know which ones but RomanS may be one.  If so, that may be the source of your problem.

You mentioned installing the font.  I have to ask the obvious question...did you reboot your computer after installing it?  That will make it available to all of the programs, or should anyway.  If not you may have to edit your registry.  You can find instructions on how to do that on the interenet.  Beware, editing the registry is a daunting task if you have never done it.  Be sure to make a back up copy before you begin.

Now, after all that, how attached are you to that font?   Arial Narrow, Century Gothic and Microsoft Sans Serif are virtually identical to RomanS and for my old eyes, they are easier to read.

image.png.4d205f2e3827321e4ee99de055a8ca5d.png

Thanks for responding. When printed from an Office application, it can be selected as text in a PDF, so may be True Type.

The issue is that in AutCAD, the option of .shx only comes up.

Maybe I'll just select a new font as suggested.

Edited by Izbi

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to use RomanS actually after trying others.

What I tried to do was to make a copy of the font file and give it a different name.

It still does not make text selectable. It is a ttf font.

Why doesn't it work.

image.thumb.png.da3f8f086af6535ae0ee356a9a140b73.png

Yes I have renamed it inside the font file using Font specific software.

The funny thing is that if I have the font in Excel or Word, and print to PDF, the text can be selected.