Exporting STL files

LGGreen

Now in the process of setting up a new drawing and checking that everything will union together and export to a good still file.

Away from computer for a week now so no posts for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LGGreen

• Cad64

• steven-g

• BIGAL

II finally redrew the complete drawing from scratch. I am convinced there was a corrupt section of the file stopping me from exporting it correctly. Finding the corrupt bit was not possible. During the redraw I kept unionising all the components and exporting them at various stages to ensure all was well.

The drawing is a railway coach. Basically I have drawn a single compartment, an end detail model and a split compartment. I need the split compartment as the final model is to have eight compartments and the maximum size I can 3D print is four and a half compartments. It was better to split the model at  door hinge line to hide the joint line.

This is the AutoCAD 3D model of the three sections, an end detail section, a full compartment, and a split compartment.

1088796130_Screenshot2020-01-11at14_03.29copy.thumb.png.ac29803218b0a6152d44da1f250e76d8.png

When 3D printed the three sections look like this. The buffers are a separate print as they are better when printed vertically.

IMG_2882.thumb.jpg.7b58f369c7c14c374b25fb100161c5b7.jpg

and when put together and a 3D printed roof added

IMG_2881.thumb.jpg.f064c35c2b6269e401161a5550392b84.jpg

These are only test prints. A few things require modifying before I go to print the full eight compartment coach.

Flash forge Dreamer and Simplify3D slicing software. Final prints will need a bit of cleaning up to get a smoother finish.

flashforge-dreamer.thumb.jpg.0b5877d5dc68015d5e5ea1d777aa3186.jpg

Edited by LGGreen

Yeah, I'm interested to see the final print, to see how smooth the finish will be.

I've been looking at printers lately and I really like the Form 3, but it's out of my price range right now. I'm looking for something that will provide good quality prints at a more reasonable price.

I have a Ender3 on the lower end of the budget, it seems ok but I have nothing to compare it to. The LGgreen models are pretty fantastic. Biggest drawback is the time involved when printing.

Cad64 I would print something for you but on wrong side of the world. Maybe send a stl to some one local as a test and look at result.

Edited by BIGAL

Do a search for a local makerspace, they are just about everywhere, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, some it's just a couple of people who get together once a month, others have multiple 3D printers, laser cutters, cnc etc. I have nearly a dozen within easy reach, some will take on the work of printing for you or let you use the machines usually at very reasonable prices.

The roof has been sanded and is perfectly smooth. The problem with the coach sides is all the external beading. The print of the two sections took 50 hours!

That sounds really excesive, the build volume on your printer isn't that big, I think you will have to look at the settings you are using.

I purposely slow down the build, especially on the outer layers, of which there are a lot. This gives crisper detail on the corners. Going too fast produces vibrations that show up on the model.

15 hours ago, BIGAL said:

Cad64 I would print something for you but on wrong side of the world. Maybe send a stl to some one local as a test and look at result.

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing for now, find someone local to print stuff for me, but eventually I would like to get my own printer.

Shapeways is a whole different type of 3D printing, its been a while since I had anything printed from them, but your choice of material has a big impact on the price, and you certainly can't compare the finish quality with plastic extrusion. Have you seen this guys videos he does a lot of testing of different machines and the techniques you can use for best results.

• 1 month later...

To complete the story this is the final print of the LNWR coach. My printer will only print a maximum length of 250mm hence the body is two parts, as is the roof. The finish is not brilliant as one would expect from this type of printer, but it has been cleaned up quite a lot. Still more to do. The buffers are now separate items in order to print them in a different orientation. Black components beneath the coach are all separate prints located in slots in the floor. Slots on the coach side are for hinges made from plastic strip which will be glued in position. The slots on the end are for steps. The roof is held in position by small handrails on the end of the coach. Not prototypical but it will suffice for now. After some more cleaning up it will be ready for the paint shop.

IMG_2962.jpg

Edited by LGGreen