Kurta digitizer

RetroCAD

2 hours ago, BIGAL said:

You can still buy digitisers and they work with Windows 10 I know have played with one very cheap like $39 from Aldi.

CF36F4D2-A83F-4088-9B51-8B56E2DDFE5C.gif

• 1 year later...

I purchased my 24" x 36" XLC Kurta tablet c. 1994. I believe Kurta started in the Apple world vs Microsoft? has been a great tool in its day, but hardly use it anymore. Prior to the advent of PCI architecture, my last 486 used a VESA video card. With it I could run Generic CADD in SVGA mode, but PCI has since downgraded that back to VGA-only. sigh...

I later upgraded to General cadd Pro which is an enhanced Windows version of Generic CADD. I thought great--I can run my Kurta on that! Well,  not so fast. My W7 system is 64 bit, and my General Cadd program is 32-bit. Not an apparent problem. However, the Kurta needed a special 3rd party interface to work--not the standard Wintab driver (forgot the name). This driver interface was 64 bit, and it required a 64-bit program to run with it. The developer of the interface passed away several years ago, so end of the road for Windows and any hope for SVGA support for General Cadd Pro.

I can still run the Kurta and Generic Cadd on my other PC on which I have Arca Noae (nee EcomStation, nee OS/2) via the DOS set up, but alas only in VGA mode. A last resort if needed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hisnibs said:

I can still run the Kurta and Generic Cadd on my other PC on which I have Arca Noae (nee EcomStation, nee OS/2) via the DOS set up, but alas only in VGA mode. A last resort if needed.

Arca Noae seems very interesting. How long have you been running it?

I used one of those in 1992. You had to stop every couple of hours and recalibrate it. That was considered high tech in 1992.

Y'all had it easy.  back in '82 all I had was a 48 x 96 drafting table, a digitizer mouse, and a 10 foot roll paper drawing from RCA.  Then I'd take the resulting 12" data tape into the computer room where they'd stick it onto a VAX mini mainframe where I'd be connected by my trusty rusty Tektronix 1050 all steel graphics computer terminal and clean up the lines.

Talking old we had road traffic counters, and they produced paper punch tapes, my neighbour a electronics engineer made a paper tape reader that connected to our NEC 8" dual disk pc then had a basic program do the analysis, so ahead of its time.