Naming solids

bruce13557

As far as I know, it's not possible to name a solid object, but you could create a layer called TOP PLATE 3 and put your object on that layer.

You could also create a material called TOP PLATE 3 and then apply it to the object.

Both of these options would allow you to then select the object by either its material type or by the layer it's sitting on.

"Groups suck."

Yes and so does gravity.  Try being a little more courteous.  It was merely a suggestion not an order.  Thank you and have a sparkling day.

I think it's strange that Autocad doesn't allow the naming of solids. Every other 3D program I've used allows you to name the various parts of your model, which is actually kind of important when working on large projects.

Confirmed! groups indeed suck. 😛

I've put part numbers in the hyperlink field before, more as a mental note for later than anything else. If you are doing 3D this can sometimes interfere with editing. (CTRL + click will try to launch the hyperlink, and not select the solid face).

• 1 month later...

2 ideas use Xdata and second which is I think what AVC is doing "Property sets".

Re the property sets having problems creating/extracting info anybody out there know how, for a different request. Found some info using VBA.