hide below a block

saim

I often have the following situation: twoo blocks overlapping each other and I want to hide the part of the lower one that is below the higher.
Like on the following picture, I have the drawing on the left and want the drawing on the right:

image.thumb.png.62a4571fb0d53788cdbf6710502b9d49.png

What I usually do is exploding the lower block and trimming it. Is there a lisp (or a way to make a lisp) that creates a "wipeout" right below the higher block and sets them in order (higher above lower)?

That would save me countless working hours.
It is important that the drawing remains 2d. The "above" that I mentioned refers only to the drawing order of the blocks...

Make the block with both images overlapping, and trimmed up, but use visibility parameter(s) to change it.  It'll be an interesting exercise in aligning a bunch of arcs so parts of the circles can be hidden. 

Edited by Dana W

It might be good to make this its own block.

If you've never set up parameters it's actually not too bad.

I would recommend opening the tool pallette and click "section callout" and place one into model space.

Then select it and go into the block editor.

This will give you a good example of how parameters work in the block editor. 

These different parameters can be deleted, new ones can be added, etc.. just like other objects in cad.

You can add parameters from the "block authoring palletes".

Select one of the blue parameters and look at the properties box and you'll start to understand how they work.

They're actually really simple to set up.

In the case of the section callout, each parameter has a tag or arrow associated with it.  That way you can insert the section callout into model space and then flip direction of the arrow or lengthen the section line, as examples.

This is really helpful for specific piping or electrical symbols too.

Setting up one single block with parameters saves you from having to use, say, 12 other blocks with no parameters that are each meant for their own specific situations/scenarios.

In a sense it makes the visibility states "dynamic" depending on what you want to show or how you want the block to show up.

-ChriS

You are correct about wipeout the only thing is you need to use draw order. So its, Block1 wipeout block2. Ok the problem wipeout does not support an arc, but you can facet an arc so wipeout still works. See lisp. 

Provide a dwg sample, looking at above though you would use bpoly to make a series of plines explode then trim guts out, convert arc to facets than pline again and wipeout. It maybe able to be automated somewhat. The big hint copy block to right a fixed amount and work on it there, then move wipeout only back.

Arc-to chords.lsp

• Like 1

I was hoping to something more "click block1, click block2, voilà". I can't re-make every block, there is a whole bunch of them.

The arc-to chords lisp helps... maybe I can work something out of it, using boundaries, but still there is some work to be done mannually*.

Well, if I can work this out the way I'm thinking, this would be less work than trimming everything!

I'll see what I can do and come back! If I manage to create something fancy, I'll post. Thanks, guys!

*  create a copy of the block, add a rectangle around it, use boundary between the rectangle and the block, delete everything but the boundary on the block, apply the arc-to chord and then, create the wipeout - writing it down, so I can try to automate it later

Edit: Boundaries do help, but won't solve everything... here's the boundary autocad found for one of my blocks (block on the left, boundary on the right):

image.png.ace9c924efddb97ac936129ad1804dc0.png

Is there any easy way to fix this?

Edited by saim

22 minutes ago, Roy_043 said:

Look at the HPSTYLE and HPGAPTOL settings.

I raised HPGAPTOL to as high as 1 and nothing changed... must be something about island detection, but I can't figure out.
About HPSTYLE, I could not find what it means. Perhaps you meant HPSCALE? If so, should I raise or lower it (since default is 1 and I have no idea what changing the scale does...)

You should be able to find information about HPGAPTOL. But I see now that HPSTYLE is unique to BricsCAD. It defines island detection, but you can change that in the _Boundary (or _-Boundary) command. You should select the 'Outer' option.