Why Does ACAD's Default Template Say Student Version

Bill Tillman

Okay, so a friend of mine is using a laptop with the "STUDENT VERSION" of AutoCAD 2018. She was not the original owner of the laptop she is using so it was apparently setup by the previous owner. She doesn't even use AutoCAD so she's not much help in trying to find out why, when and where, etc... What I did notice that I was not aware of is that unlike previous encounters with the Educational Version of AutoCAD the prints made with it do not have the border with "EDUCATIONAL VERSION " all around it. Guess it must have been changed sometime in the past.

Edited by Bill Tillman

I suppose it is possible that someone saved-over the acad.dwt when using a student version, but we would need to see the file to see if it is just the file or something on your friends computer.

I check the About AutoCAD in the Help menu and it definitely is the Educational Version that was installed.  Since she doesn't even know how to use AutoCAD we're just dropping the issue. I just wanted her to be careful with how and where she used this laptop.

The educational plot stamp was re-introduced in version 2019 I believe. Someone in our office ignored the AutoCAD login since he couldn't remember his password so it switched to being the educational version. Once he logged on properly it was the paid version again. I believe the only difference between the educational and paid stand alone 2019 versions is the user.