Object Snap Settings

Bill Tillman

Using an older computer that another individual was running AutoCAD 2018 on. Trouble I'm having is when I try to do tasks like stretching, mirroring or just about anything where I need to grab a grip and move it, the Object Snap starts grabbing anything that's within reach. I just tried to move a grip the OSMODE started trying to grab anything on the screen. Like a fuzzy tolerance or something is not set for my use. I have my pickbox set at 5 and even if I'm zoomed in close it keeps trying to snap to something close by but is far enough away that it should leave it alone. I have to turn OSNAP off to complete the task.

At a previous employer this was a constant issue.

Civil design has to be precise.  So if someone accidentally snaps perpendicular to something thinking it's an endpoint, it can throw stuff out of whack unintentionally (even if it's a fraction of an inch). 

You can also end up with polylines that are open that are meant to be closed, causing issues with hatching, etc..

The entire design firm basically had osnap off all the time.

They implemented lisp routines specifically for snapping.

So if you wanted to snap to an endpoint, you would click F2 and it would find only the endpoints.

F3 - intersections

F4 - perpendicular

etc..

Which was super tough to get used to at first but really handy for precision's sake.

-ChriS