AutoCAD 2018 Strange lag while performing commands

CadUser123

Hello this is my first message, I skipped the presentation, sorry for that. I am a 38 male from Quebec Canada, drafter, if that's even the right name for me job in English.

So for the last 5 years I used AutoCAD Full 2013 on Windows 7, revision was OK! Today I have windows 10 with  AutoCAD Full 2018, new from a couple of days ago.

My problem is the following, our network is pretty poor everything is lagging with it (In the file manager especially) and there is nothing we can do about it, it's a public service. The network is ok for many types of secretary jobs and managers writing at 1 word per minutes but it's difficult for me apparently with CAD.

With 2018 the serious problem, I have a lag at every commands, even zoom and pan (middle mouse) has serious lag.. it's not a matter of CPU, video card or over bloated DWG. For instance I just imported an image in my DWG and I was trying to select that image to move it and crop it (In AutoCAD), but it's almost impossible only to click, open select window and select the object..

SO, to prove the problem is the network, I unplugged the wire and the Wifi and surprise surprise NO MORE LAG!!!

How in the world is it possible that the network could affect moving an image in AutoCAD? There is apparently a direct relation between the network and the commands in my Autocad..

you guys could not even imagine a worst network the the one we use so perhaps the problem is undocumented.. eitherway I need some help. Perhaps there are options in autocad related to using the network?

This is frighting I can't work...

Set your temporary directory to somewhere on c drive Config, Files, helps a bit.

On  a network you can be assigned more resources ie speed you up you will need your IT to see if they can update your status in the pecking order.

Edited by BIGAL

I can't explain what happened but the problem disappeared completely.

Working offline seems like an impossibility i need to look at PDFs, images, excels all the time when I work in autocad.. all these files are in the network. But is there an offline mode in Autocad maybe? (I doubt it.. but i give it a shot)

There were no Xrefs involved. 

Bigal: Which temporary directory exactly? I would say it's already on C:\ in our user directory but do you have more details?

I just set the temporary directory to one I can find easy, handy if Autocad crashes, find baks, sv$ etc.

A question to the general public how many have ever looked at their temporary directory you will be horrified how big it is, I clean mine up all the time.

We did have a problem to at one stage and it took a while to fix. Not sure what our IT did.

• Like 1

BIGAL ok I know that directory, which one it is.

My user is 1 week old there is only 36mb of content inthere currently.. but i keep in mind I need to delete it's content once in the while, In the past it's true, i had many gigabytes in there and this was slowing down the boot sequence of my Windows user... an old network bug in windows 7 i think it was.

Edited by CadUser123

Just click type in explorer makes it easier to get rid of the junk, or write a BAT file of the stuff you know can be deleted. I hate to think what some of the pc's are like where I used to work, attitude was when it stops working will fix.

• Like 1

Yeah i agree it needs to be cleaned instead of letting go ultil it crashes .. Most people don't care I think..

I don't know how to write a bat file for that,, I'll check manually.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:55 PM, BIGAL said:

I just set the temporary directory to one I can find easy, handy if Autocad crashes, find baks, sv$ etc.

A question to the general public how many have ever looked at their temporary directory you will be horrified how big it is, I clean mine up all the time.

We did have a problem to at one stage and it took a while to fix. Not sure what our IT did.

Once every few weeks or anytime I feel the need. This macro will open that Temporary Drawing File Location set in Options:

^C^C^P(progn(startapp "explorer" (strcat "/n,/e," (getvar "tempprefix")))(princ))

I have it in a drop-down with Audit and all the Recovery tools. Easier it is to do the more likely users are going to do it. No guarantees of course!