Best practice/workflow advise

ABCad

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice, a lot of work we do here is extensions and load bearing masonry projects. We traditionally use Autocad for these but I'm seeing how well we could use revit to produce our usual information. I've done a little bit of moddelling before but only on new build steel or concrete frames.

I'm starting by trying to model and produce drawings for a few simple steels in an extension we've done previously, I've shown the existing structure as a mass and I'm now on the new masonry and steelwork.

I've modelled the walls and the footings first and I'm now putting in some steelwork, as you can see from the attached image the steel doesn't break the inner leaf of the wall, what's the best practice here? model the wall as 2 seperate skins and stop the inner either side of the steels? or model a void into the wall at the column locations?

Also have some steels bearing into the walls on padstones, does anyone have any advice on how is best to model this?

Thanks.

Revit practice 1.jpg

Revit practice 2.jpg