AutoCAD 2018 Gigantic PDF files

CadUser123

Wow I have a new problem.. in AutoCAD 2018, my latest upgrade from 2013. We have a plan binder with all the floor plans of our buildings so we can distribute to people in need of plans.

Inside that binder I have 2 pages of a volumetric 3D scene of the main buildings, inside a frame.. so it's a very basic 3d Scene in model with a view port in paper space, inside a frame also in paper space. I select simply Adobe PDF, PDF creator or Foxit printer to generate a PDF of that layout and usually I get a fairly decent PDF with a render.

The page is 11x17 and usually the size is around 600kb, it's just 1 page in a 138 pages binder.

BUT NOW! AutoCad 2018!! My new friend.... :glare:

The file I print is 20 megabytes and I don't understand why.. PDF creator will generate a 30mg file, Adobe PDF a 20mb file and Foxit will simply crash and take Autocad along the slope.  I've looked inside the Adobe features to lower the size of the output PDF but nothing is working... I tried to export in PDF then convert the PDF into a high quality image in GIMP but the results are somewhat, not very good when i print the page.

What change happened between AutoCAD 2013 and 2018 to cause me these troubles? There must be a setting somewhere in Autocad to get back a lightweight 3D PDF output?

If you have some ideas..

Edited by CadUser123

Oh no.. I think I found one solution by myself.. I tried the Autocad PDF printer instead.. and guess what..? the file is at 600 kb again.

I hate when this happens.. plugin from the AutoDESK company no problems.. plugin from the 3rd party company.. not working... they used to work fine.

I would still like to hear some ideas about that.. is it possible that this was... done on purpose...?  I still have hopes Adobe PDF can be configured.. or Autocad.. I don't know, there must be a way.

I used Adobe some a while back and the PDFs seemed to always be larger than DWGtoPDF, though not that extreme. Hard to say what is in your drawing that could be responsible, could even be down to your settings in each program. Hard to analyze without your drawing and your settings information. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 5:17 AM, CadUser123 said:

Oh no.. I think I found one solution by myself.. I tried the Autocad PDF printer instead.. and guess what..? the file is at 600 kb again.

I hate when this happens.. plugin from the AutoDESK company no problems.. plugin from the 3rd party company.. not working... they used to work fine.

I would still like to hear some ideas about that.. is it possible that this was... done on purpose...?  I still have hopes Adobe PDF can be configured.. or Autocad.. I don't know, there must be a way.

This is so relatable, they do tend to have difficulty integrating third party plug-ins in succeeding versions prior to 2013. I've been using cutePDF for a while with no problem until I integrated it to AutoCad 2016. They can't always find the printer and my plot setting.

What kind of solved my problem is when I reinstalled the plug-in, however, my .ctb files are unidentifiable by the system, have to copy it to every folder for my PlotStyles. 

But if the plug-in/ print plotter is the problem, have you tried, tinkering with the settings of Foxit? or PURGE and AUDIT?

Regards

You could try DWG to PDF.

It sounds like the adobe PDF plotter has independent DPI settings that have to be tweaked in the Adobe PDF driver (for those with full blown acrobat, bluebeam, or similar that have the legit adobe PDF plotter).

It's possible you were using a PC3 file before that specified lower resolution for Autocad prints, specifically.

That or there was some other variable overriding the Adobe PDF print driver settings before, and it isn't now.

-ChriS